Author Topic: 54 Henry J race car  (Read 1358 times)

slotcar steve

• View Profile
54 Henry J race car
« on: October 21, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
Henry J #44 at unknown SoCal dirt track race in 1954. Sponsored by Clymer Motor Books. Any information as to location, race classes, etc. would be appreciated. Wonder what was so sinister about the Henry that the officer has his hand near his weapon?

(Gentleman next to police officer is Bob Horton. Bob worked in book and magazine circulation and traffic management for Clymer in the early to mid 50's.  He then worked for Petersen Publishing as traffic manager from '55 through late 60's, then moved to Argus Publications).

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Henry J race car
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Those are cool pictures to be sure. Unfortunately, I know nothing about them but hopefully someone will. The car appears to be a typical 1951 Henry J. The lower photo shows a 1952 license plate so perhaps the officer was hoping to tag the owner for expired plates?
These are the types of pictures I always enjoy seeing. I hope someone can shed some light on them for us.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Henry J race car
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
There were a number of HJ's used as stock cars across the country.  I have film of a 1952 Vagabond entered by the Daytona Beach K-F dealer at the Datyona Nationals that year (when half the track was the beach, the other a two-lane paved road!