Author Topic: 53 Henry J Rochester Carb  (Read 1819 times)

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
53 Henry J Rochester Carb
« on: December 07, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Does anyone know the model number of the Rochester Carb used on my 53 Cosair ? I can't find any markings other than it being a Rochester. I'm looking to find a rebuilding kit. Kit numbers would be real helpful also. Thanks
Jeff

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53 Henry J Rochester Carb
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
If it's a Rochester then it's not the original carb. The Henry J 4 cylinder used a Carter YF 820S. The six cylinder used a Carter YF 833.  A lot the cars have had the carbs changed over the years. There was a Chevrolet carb that fit right on the J and sometimes that one was used in the days when you couldn't find the correct one. I don't remember if it was  Rochester or Carter. I'm sure there were others.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:58:36 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
 FID got it right that carb is off a chevrolet. They will work as long as it is not whats called a "flat top" where the lid is very thin. We had a 55 gal barrel full of these that were replaced under warantee. A picture would be great.

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have a Carter YF on a parts motor in the shed. I think I'll probably rebuild that as my local NAPA looked at me like I was from space when I gave them the info found on the Rochester. And yes, my son says its the same carb on a 50 Chevrolet pickup he worked on recently