Author Topic: replacing dashboard headlight switch  (Read 1337 times)

jerryross

• View Profile
    • Email
replacing dashboard headlight switch
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
when I pulled down the right vent lever on my 1954 Kaiser Manhattan, I saw fire and smoke under the dash. The headlights, parking lights, directional lights and brake lights work but dash and rear lights don't work. Does the dashboard headlight switch need replacement and if it does, how do you get to it to replace it?
  I would appreciate any help.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: replacing dashboard headlight switch
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
This doesn't sound like a switch issue. If it occurred just as you pulled down the vent lever, it would indicate that in doing so you shorted out a wire. Could be that one was being rubbed every time you moved the lever and the insulation finally wore out to the point that a short occurred. Were the lights on when this happened? If so, the indication would be that you shorted a wire that supplies the rear lights. It is possible that the short occurred in the switch, but this would be hard to associate with moving the lever and switches aren't very prone to this sort of thing anyway. I would look under the dash and see what was going on when I moved the vent. My guess is that you will see a wire with insulation burned in the vicinity.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: replacing dashboard headlight switch
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
The dash lights are controlled from the headlight switch. It sounds like a wire either worked loose from the switch or became threadbare and shorted, which is where the fire came from. Getting to the switch is not easy on the 54s but can be done with some patience. You can try working yourself up behind the dash and with a flashlight you might be able to see what shorted. I was able to fix a short in my 54 without having to drop the dash. But, if not...read on.

You will need to remove all of the screws that hold the upper and lower halves together. Most all are located under the leading edge of the dash. There are also a few bolts that attach the dash to the underframe, as well as some that hold things like the steering shaft brace in place.

Once you have all of the screws and bolts removed, gently begin working the lower half the dash down from the upper half. Don't try removing the upper half...it's difficult to get at and it won't help with what you're doing. Remember, all of the wiring is cloth covered and 60 years old so it will be brittle. Work the lower half down only as far as is needed to gain access to the switch and wiring. You shouldn't have to remove the switch, I'm sure the issue is with worn wiring.

Make sure the battery is disconnected before you begin!