Author Topic: Drum Pulling  (Read 2560 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Drum Pulling
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »
I'm rebuilding the brakes on the '53 Dragon and trying to figure out how to pull the rear drums.  I have not even taken off the bolt yet, so I don't know how tight it is on there, but the shop manual calls for a strange puller that no one seems to have.  For those of you who have pulled rear drums, can you recommend a type of puller that works?

Thanks,
Cory (Logan)

Roger

• View Profile
Re: Drum Pulling
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »
Hello Logan
   I can't remember what the Kaiser rear drums look like, but it sounds like something similar to Chrysler up to about 1961 (I inherited a puller from my Dad which he used for his '41 Plymouth).  So if you could borrow one to see if it works for you. 
  Some advice: if the puller doesn't work (with the puller as tight as you dare to go) you could try a little heat on the hub while tapping with a hammer. Another trick we would use to check for cracked drums is to wash them in Varsol (the stuff the mechanics use in their parts washer) dry it with a clean cloth and blow the drum down with air and then using a light on the inside a crack shows up as a wet line.
 I hope this helps Roger

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »
I use a large, 3 spoke, wheel puller. Remove the cotter pin and nut, then turn the nut around the other way, so the castled end is now facing in, and run it back on till the nut is flush with the end of the axle. I then take thick piece of flat angle iron and put it between the puller shaft and the hub as buffer. Tighten the puller till it's snug, then gently tighten some more.  I usually have to hit the shaft, dead center with a large hammer to shock the hubs off as the axle is cone shaped. I've never gotten one off without a puller and without shocking it.  I've talked to others who have had to  heat them but that's rare.
Best of luck
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:28:58 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
Okay, I'll try that out.  Thanks.

holtzdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
Drum pulling,
I have found if I tighten the bar on the puller with a small sledge and then apply heat with a propane torch then smack the center the drum will pop off. Assemble the drum and axle dry or you will have difficulty when you next remove it !

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
I did get it off, by the way, using a puller like Fid's.