Author Topic: 1951 Frazer Manhattan  (Read 7018 times)

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Frazer Manhattan
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
sorry about that. I am a little slow but I finally realized that you both have the same first name.

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »
Thanks for taking some pictures Joe and the info about the paint it's as i suspected . Too bad about the color,with all the attention to detail and then to drop the ball on that is real strange. Maybe that's why it went up for sale ? 

I am back into 51 frazers again, i have two 51 vagabonds and a 51 sedan. i would like to restore all three but with how scarce parts are for them it might not be too practical.  I restored a 51 Vagabond in 1976 ,it took three cars to make one back then and only possible with a lot of help from club members .

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 06:29:52 AM »
hi Randy. It may have been the owner's aesthetic preference for a different green. Some are not that keen on Garden Metallic Green, but I sure liked it when I had the car. I attach a picture of that 51 Frazer Manhattan when I had it and you can see that it had the original color as tagged which was how Lowell Johnson painted the car. I recall about 12 years ago seeing a 51 Manhattan HT for sale from a classic car vendor in St. Louis and that car was a Glass Green body with Crystal Green painted roof. I thought it was stunning but my wife hated it. To each his own.

With all the impressive colors offered by KF it is tempting to paint a car to one's preferences, regardless of the original tags. I was very impressed recently when I saw a 48 Kaiser Special at the Gilmore Show that was Lambs Wool (cream) over Academy Blue. It really classed up the otherwise minimalist look of a Kaiser Special. I did not have the KFOCI handbook to know if that was the original tagged color and it probably was but either way, I could see painting a 49-50 Frazer that color just for the looks of it. But then I attend shows for enjoyment, not for competition. If I had a very rare car like a 51 Frazer MH HT though, I would be more inclined to stay with the car's original color designations.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:10:21 AM »
Hey Randy, I see in Hemmings classifieds that this Frazer was to be offered again at auction by Mecum last Saturday Oct. 12. I wonder if it sold. Here is the link....

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/frazer/manhattan/1598837.html