Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 3861 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Bleeding Brakes
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
I am still in the process of rebuilding my brakes and thought it would be nice to have a power bleeder.  I ordered one from http://www.etoolcart.com/ that was a "classic car" power bleeder and was supposed to fit most older cars, but the Kaiser's master cylinder cap is a lot bigger than the attachment they gave me.  Anybody know of a power bleeder that will work?  If not looks like I'll have to get someone to help me and do it the old-fashioned (messy!) way.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
I've never used one of those. How does it work?

I saw a lot of adapters on that site. Could you call them up with the measurements and match up an adapter that way?
KFOCI #9798

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
This is what I use, Mity vac brake bleeder. Easy and clean one person operation. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIT6820 Connect one hose to the bleeder screw and the jar, connect the other hose to the jar and pump. Pump 5-6 times and move on to the next wheel.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
Weaz, the way it works is you attach a hose to the master cylinder, and then pump up the tank to about 20 psi.  then, go around to each wheel cylinder with a hose and jar, or whatever you want to use, and when you open the wheel cylinder bleed valve, the pressurized tank pushes the fluid through.  Close up the valve when it runs clear.  I've never used it before, but just bought it for this job because it sounds like a really good way to go.  I think I will give them a call and see if they have an adapter.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
I might have to get one of those for myself. Let us know how getting the adapter works out for you, and good luck.
KFOCI #9798

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »
I talked to e-toolcart.com and they do not have an adapter that will fit our Kaiser master cylinders.  However, if I have an extra cap I can send it in and they will hook up an attachment to it that will fit the power bleeder, making the extra cap into the attachment (but you could no londer use it as your cap because it would let air, etc. in).  So...do any of you have an extra master cylinder cap for a '53 K lying around I could buy off you?

Capn Frazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
Hey, fellers, why don't you all save yourself a lot of trouble and money by just getting a long, long piece of clear vinyl hose from the hardware store...10 or 12 feet should do, make sure it is about 1/8" inside diameter, then (A) loosen the first (right rear) bleeder just a half turn, and jam the end of the hose onto the bleeder nipple.  (B)Then take the other end of the hose and put it into the master cylinder reservoir, and clip in in place with an old wooden clothespin.  (C)Then have your lovely wife (or idiot son) slowly pump the pedal down to the floor, over and over...slowly... and watch the bubbles go thru the transparent tubing. When the bubbles come no more, tighten the bleed nipple, tell the L.W. (or I. S.) to let off the brake pedal. (D)Then repeat the same process on the left rear, then the right front, and finally the left front.  Cost of equipment: $2.50 for the vinyl hose! Cost to take L.W. (and I.S.) out to dinner: $45.52.

kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:16:54 AM »
Hi if You have an old mastercyl. You should never push the pedal to the floor because You will ruin the seals in it when they travel over the dirt buildup thats been there behind them at normal travel.You can use the trick were you pump it back to the mastercyl if you only push the brakepedal the same distance as normal braking,but you still have old fluid in the system and you can take Your dear wife and lovely son for dinner.

carsngolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
Hi if You have an old mastercyl. You should never push the pedal to the floor because You will ruin the seals in it when they travel over the dirt buildup thats been there behind them at normal travel.You can use the trick were you pump it back to the mastercyl if you only push the brakepedal the same distance as normal braking,but you still have old fluid in the system and you can take Your dear wife and lovely son for dinner.

SO TRUE!  DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Jerry Weiland

Randy K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »
Motive Products sells a very nice USA-made power bleeder (for the one-time cost of Capn Frazer's dinner!) that fits the master used on the 1951-55 Kaiser (and 1949-51 Ford).  The unit holds up to two quarts of fluid and can provide up to 20 psi of pressure (too much for a K-F!).  This way you can move at your own pace and work on your own.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »
I don't know, Weas and I just did it on my '53 Henry J this morning and  you really can't beat the two person method if you can hire the help as cheap as I did!  We actually swapped the master cylinder on it - worse than I thought it would be but not really all the bad when it's all said and done. I only swallowed a very small amount of brake fluid, and lost one knuckle but the car stops now and there is certainly something to be said for that.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »
I was looking at Motive Products website.  Do you know which model number bleeder works for KF products?  Also, what psi would you bleed it at?  Lastly, I just got a newly rebuilt master cylinder and pumped it to the floor a few times (with no fluid in it).  I hope that wouldn't ruin it, right?  Anyway, I'll make sure not to push the pedal to the floor while bleeding.