Author Topic: Side marker lights  (Read 5492 times)

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Side marker lights
« on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
My 48 Kaiser has a two openings in the front bottom of the front fender that I have to believe are for side marker lights. However, if you look at the 48 kaiser listed for $3800 in Grand Junction, it doesn't have anything there. Can someone explain this?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Side marker lights
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Show a couple of pictures, please.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
I'll try to do that tomorrow if I can figure out how to post them.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:04:55 PM »
Don't believe side marker lamps came to be until mid 60s.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:19:06 AM »
Here's a pic. of the front fender of my car. The opposite side is exactly the same. My grandfather bought this car from the original owner who he knew most of his life and said that nothing had been changed on it except for the upholstery material on the doors.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:35 AM »
I your car used the 3 piece bumper (meaning the bar itself is in 3 pieces, not including the brackets or bumper guards), the mount bracket runs thru the larger hole and there's a special grommet used with the bracket. If not, then the larger hole is filled with a different rubber grommet. The round hole was used by the factory to stick the tool thru to tighten the bumper mount bolts. It should be filled with a metal plug. It's the same plug whether you have the one piece or 3 piece bumper.

For the one piece bumper, the grommet part number is 202934
The metal plug part number is 202940
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:58:38 AM by joefrazer »

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 06:57:23 AM »
Hmmm. I guess I don't have my brackets mounted correctly then. I'll have to see if I can figure that one out later this weekend.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
I have the rubber grommets 201481 that were used with the 3 piece bumper per the parts list posted by Jim Betts.  $8 each plus shipping.

If I can help, let me know.

Mike   www.tarheelkf.com
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
I have a one piece bumper so I'm guessing the grommets are different. Otherwise I would defenitely like to get them from you. There is a piece I'm looking for though and I'm not sure what it's called because it's not listed in the parts book I have. It's a cylinder about 6-8" long with a flap(for lack of a better word) in the middle that I believe is supposed to have a wire/cable attached to it and it is part of the  vent/heat system. Mine is rusted out and the flap thing is about to come completely out of it.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
I stand corrected! The bumper mount bracket does use the larger hole in the fender. Curiously, the parts book only shows the grommet as used on the 47 Kaisers as well as the 47-8 Frazers...but not the 48K. I know they were present on my 48 because I replaced them when I cleaned up the bumper brackets.

Here's a link to the parts list for the bumpers. It includes illustrations...you'll need to scroll down to find the bumper section - http://circlekf.com/kflit/PM/kfpm240/kfpm24020.pdf

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
I have the parts book with that illustration in it.

Mike, do you have that cylinder piece or part number 4 in that illustration for the front bumper?

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
Kory, part #4 in the illustration is listed as 202885 in the parts list.  No, sorry, I don't list any of them.  Send me some photos of the cylinder piece you're needing to mbfleming@aol.com I might have that.

Just curious, if your bumper brackets don't extend through the large holes in the fenders, how are you planning to close these or are you just planning to leave them open?   ???

Mike? 
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I must not have the brackets mounted right. I need to figure that out and find those #4 pieces. I've been trying to find a parts car to use as a reference but they're all either too expensive or too far away. The one in Grand Island seems to have a lot of stuff I could use plus use as a reference but I can't come up with $3,800. Its really frustrating because my son is showing an interest and those were some of the only good times I had with my dad and I just don't have the money for the interior,chrome and other stuff I need.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:29:18 PM by Kory Fox »

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Here is a picture of my '48 Kaiser with 1 piece bumper. It does not have a bracket in that location. I believe the Frazer used an extra bracket for the bumper mounting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:44:43 PM by custom »
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Custom, thanks for posting the photo, it's a very helpful reference I would think for Kory.  Kory, that is the large rubber piece that I have to fill the large hole if you want to do it correctly.  The round hole looks like a pretty typical hole plug you should be able to find at any hardware store in the miscellaneous hardware section such as Ace (in those pull out boxes), Lowe's Hardware (drawer's), etc.

Hope this helps.  Still would like to see what the cylinder piece is you're talking about if'n you send me an e-mail with a photo.

Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror: