Author Topic: Engine uses water  (Read 1402 times)

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine uses water
« on: May 27, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
After getting my 55  out of the various shops It  uses water one half gallon in 6  miles. I have a 53 block totally rebuilt with a 55 cylinder head could this be a problem ? A local expert tells me it is either a bad head gasket or a bad weld on a sleeve . I noticed two different part numbers for cylinder heads and grasping at straws hope this could be the trouble.   What think?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Engine uses water
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Cylinders heads on all 226 engines, regardless of year, are interchangeable. You can use a 47 head on a 55 block without a problem. The problem could be a bad head...I had one crack on a 53K and it allowed coolant into the #2 cylinder. Have you tried swapping heads to see if the problem persists? A head from any year Kaiser 226 will work.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
I had something similar happen once and it was  failure of the gasket to seal due to a slightly warped head. This can have the same effect as a crack. A head swap will be the best check, as with the other. Before doing that, try re-torquing the head bolts-they can loosen up amazingly fast after a reassembly. Quickest thing to try.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
Miles, are you getting white smoke out of your exhaust pipe?  If not, other than noticing its using water, what other signs or symptoms are you having?  I'm having the same problem of using water but not nearly to the degree that you are.  I may need a valve job and a new head gasket (already did the head gasket once; didn't help).  I'm unsure where to turn myself.  Have retorqued the head bolts a couple of times; no improvement.

Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »
I had the head shaved as well just to be sure before doing the head gasket replacement.  Still could be warped I presume; I haven't tried another head.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)