Author Topic: OMG...are you kidding?!  (Read 3108 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
OMG...are you kidding?!
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
I cannot believe this auction!  It's for 3 '53-'54 NOS HJ Park Light lenses.  $200 each???!!! You gotta be kidding....and he just outbid another guy!    :o

I have the one he's missing to have 2 complete sets on my list NOS in the KF box for $125!

Probably a hot rodder!   ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-1952-1953-Henry-J-Front-Parking-Light-Lenses-/181175548671?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=TKMOGxJOsEfi23pOpOMUjmgjgCs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OMG...are you kidding?!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:16 PM »
From time to time I've run across people who most of the time either 1)have a severely inflated idea of what their "find" should be worth because 'you don't see them around on the road any more so parts must be too rare for them to be driven', or 2)they do not want to sell the items at this time but want to get a sense for what the marketplace would pay for the items.

This is not confined to K-F alone; the executors of the Barney Pollard estate in Detroit were extremely disappointed that the auction sale of Barney's huge collection of 1900-1920's or so old cars and trucks brought little more than scrap value.  To save space, the construction company owner stacked the cars end to end in one of his yards with no decent protection from the elements.  He also refused to sell individual cars when alive to those inquiring, claiming that a year or two later they would be worth more, so he'd wait until he could get the price he wanted for them.

A first hand story related to all this deals with Jaguar engines being produced at Ford Motor Company's Cleveland Engine Plant #2 c.2008 to 2013.  When Jag was acquired by Tata Motors in India (along with Land Rover-they still own both today) Ford wanted to stop production of the turbocharged V-6 that went into the "baby Jag" which was built in England for sale overseas.  Tata would not buy the tooling and equipment to set up the engine line at the British facility, but would pay any amount Ford wanted for them to keep building them.  Ford quoted a normally impossibly high price for engines and Tata took it and the V-6 stayed in production in the west central part of the engine plant until production ended there in May of 2013.  I was a resident quality engineer on that line at the time, so I know what went on.

They never got anywhere near what Mr. Pollard felt they should go for.

Hollenway

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »
More on Barney Pollard.....    Many of these cars were lost in a fire quite a few years ago.   Barney must have been
quite the character !!!!!!   

http://barnfinds.com/barney-pollards-1924-cadillac/

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
it confuses me why we resurrected a post from 2013

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
.................... claiming that a year or two later they would be worth more, so he'd wait until he could get the price he wanted for them.
They never got anywhere near what Mr. Pollard felt they should go for.

I've run into that before, once even from a 2nd generation storing the same non-negotiable high priced parts the 1st generation couldn't sell.

Great story on the Jag engines! Makes me wonder if they were willing to pay the extra for US quality control.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
Quality, while important was not the issue.  Tata acquired Jaguar with the intention of getting a luxury sedan/convertible rather than engineering it themselves.  As long as the Baby Jag sold well overseas, paying its own way so to speak, they were content to keep things going as is.  There would also be a disruption of several month's production covering the time required to take the line down, container it, ship it by boat to England, re-creating the line at the Jaguar plant & fixing all the bugs such a move typically created.

I was at Jaguar the summer before the Ford/GM bidding war began.  Upholstery was done in a large kind of "pit".  There were upwards of 400 people sewing cloth or leather on individual Singer sowing machines!  Their body panel presses were old Clearing types that came over from the US during World War I and had manufactures tags with dates to support that.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »
AACA's Antique Automobile magazine had a 7 or 8 part article on Barney Pollard & his cars, written by his favorite nephew. Lots of interesting detail about his life and some of his cars. This was published within the last two years.

Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »
it confuses me why we resurrected a post from 2013

Resurrected yet again........... :o

I've seen this in other forums, where people trying to increase their post count by pulling up dead threads and posting on them.
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
mbflemingkf

hotroders dont have that kind of money...lol
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...