Author Topic: DARRIN BREAKFAST AT THE NATIONAL CONVENTION--HEADS-UP  (Read 3133 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
DARRIN BREAKFAST AT THE NATIONAL CONVENTION--HEADS-UP
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
The major topic for this upcoming gathering will be proposed JUDGING STANDARDS completed by our Chief Judge.
This will be the first time that you owners will be able to review and comment on these STANDARDS.

See you there.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DARRIN BREAKFAST AT THE NATIONAL CONVENTION--HEADS-UP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
As I have never seen these standards, I have never been able to review and verify details against factory documents.  Accordingly, as Club Historian I cannot support the material until such time that I am able to review everything and check it against the various factory-issued documents I have on Kaiser Darrin automobiles.

Please note further, that the same applies to ANY judging standards currently in circulation.

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
That could be a very long breakfast if all Darrin owners give their Judging opinions.  Everybody always has a judging story about their Darrin.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »
Making new judging standards s a huge job.  Where did these new judging standards come from?  We really need them for all of our cars.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
Although she has repeatedly assured me that I would be allowed to review, comment, etc on Judging Standards before anything is shown to the membership, standards come into individual members hands without this critical step in the process.  There is no way of knowing where the information comes from outside of the KFOCI HANDBOOK which was never intended to be the begin and end all of what is right for cars.

I am prepared to get out the red marker and make my own "notes" on anything I get my hands on at the 2013 National as my schedule right now does not have enough open time in it to review stuff in advance.

We need Judging Standards but what appears to be the current crash program plan is NOT the way to do it. 

I've offered my services for over 20 years on this project and been ignored at almost every turn. 

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:50:14 PM »
I think it would be a good idea to NOT use these "standards" this year, or possibly next year, until they have been reviewed by a committee of knowledgeable club members. I, of course, volunteer to review the Aero standards, along with several other Aero experts.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »
Rick, I could not think of anyone better to review Aero Willys information than you and Lew Retzer.  There should be at least 2 people reading through each package plus the other checks and tests before release.

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
I have been to quite a few Darrin breakfasts and they are always  lively. Judging standards are important, car owners need some sort of guideline to go by when their cars are to be judged. It appears that Terry has put something together as a PROPOSED standard, I think that everyone will have an opportunity to look at it well before it is adopted. I do not think anyone is a total authority on the Darrin. It seems that every Darrin I look at is different. Everyone has an opinion as to what was done at the factory, not sure anyone knows for sure. This Darrin controversy has been going on as long as I have been in the club. My member # is 1076 so I have been in a long time. You know what they say opinions are like A holes everyone has one. Lets all look at the information and see what is in it, then we can go to the people we think know the most about  the car and go from there. It is just a start.
Lee Abrahams
SEE YOU IN SHIPSHEWANA
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:16 AM »
Lee, my understanding was that if the Darrin owners at the breakfast like what they see, it is to be implemented ASAP, reflecting the growing number of complaints about a lack of a standard.  Unless fully vetted, such a thing will cause more problems than it will solve.

You are also correct about each Darrin being a bit different from others.  The Running Changes board that I was able to get a copy of (it once was in the Experimental Engineering Department back when the cars were in production) shows what changes were applied to what car numbers and if it was done in the Experimental Engineering Department, the Service Garage or wherever.   I put it into KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 as a tool for member use.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:11:28 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
Jack
I am not aware of this. I do not think that a bunch of people at the Darrin breakfast , many that don't own Darrin's can or should authorize a judging standard. I think there are rules for this in the bylaws, if not there should be. I will voice my opinion at the meeting. I do think we need to adopt something. This has gone on a long time. Will you be at the meeting? I hope so you seem to be one of the people that needs to see it.
It seems that we have a lot of type A personalities in the club.
 We need the president  to put together a committee to study the guide and make the necessary changes and adopt it quickly. You can never please everyone, but Darrin owners as well as all KF cars need these judging standards for both judging and restoration.
As long as judging is done there needs to be guidelines.
Lee 
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
I have sat back long enough and now I MUST reply to much of this nonsense by many.

Many of you have inferred incorrectly.

May I go back in history in this Forum.

Last year I asked a simple question about the Kaiser Frazer Owners Facebook account.
Someone.1 inferred that I wanted to close it done.  Nothing of that sort was embedded in my simple question!

Lately, I suggested that we should have our upcoming events updated in this website.
Someone.1 inferred that I want to replace that which is in the Bulletin.  Nothing of that was implied in my suggestion!!

Similarly, I suggested that someone be appointed to that event task.
Someone.1 inferred that I was pointing the finger in that direction.  Nothing of what I said implied that!!!

In this thread, I STATED that I will be presenting Standards given to me by the CHIEF JUDGE.
Someone.2 has taken that simple statement to where this thread has unfortunately gone.
I, in no way, have implied that these Standards will be implemented immediately.
If there are plans to do that, not only do I not know about them, I am not in that authority to do anything about it.

I firmly believe that these examples of incorrect inferences belie a serious problem in some of these discussions.

I'll will now wait for the wolves to come feeding again.

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »
Terry
Not sure who the wolves are hope I am not one of them. I did try to defuse this by saying they were Proposed.
Guess there is a lot more going on then I am aware of.
Do not know anything about any of what you wrote about.
I need to get on the web site more often.
Should be a very interesting Darrin breakfast.
I will see you there.
I will try to help keep it civil.
Lee
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette