Author Topic: Battery Cables  (Read 1710 times)

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
Battery Cables
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »
I have seen messages on this forum and other sources of info that are conflicting regarding the correct gauge wire on KF battery cables.  Some say 0 gauge while others mention 1 gauge.  Does anyone have or know of any factory documents that call out proper size cable?  Which is correct for judging purposes and/or authenticity? 
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battery Cables
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:48 AM »
The thing with the battery cables is that there is substantial current draw during starting (starter motor turning the engine over, spark from the coil, etc).  Either a 0 or a 1 AWG (Wire Gage) cable will work; 12 volt type cables cannot carry the current the system will draw. 

I would suggest you verify this with Charlotte Dayton but my recollection on the standard is that the NEGATIVE cable is the 0 or 1 AWG type with black rubber insulation (casing color) and it should be available from a good tractor parts place (they were used on older Allis-Chalmers, John Deere, etc).  The positive ground off the battery should be a ground strap (again, the tractor place should be able to supply this) that mounts to the bolt that holds down the engine on the driver side.  The Kaiser-Frazer service manual for your particular car should show how this goes if something has changed on the car over the years.

What do some of the more mechanically inclined think of these thoughts?  It's been a while since I've had an old car to tinker with.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
Attached are photos of the correct style cables for your KF. The braided cable is the positive ground strap and it's bolted to the plate that the motor mounts attach to. The negative cable is to be the offset style as shown. Also included is a picture of the solenoid to starter cable. Admittedly, all are not in perfect shape...the negative cable end is from my parts car 47 so it's seen better days, but they do illustrate what's deemed correct. All are zero gauge on the two cars pictured.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »
I ordered a 0 gauge from my J in 2003. I don't recall where I heard it used a 0 gauge but I do know the A.E.A Tune up Chart, while admittedly not a factory publication, lists the cables for the Henry as 1 gauge. Battery cables were manufactured by Packard, not to be confused with the Packard motor car company, and are listed on the chart as "Battery to Solenoid - Gauge No. 1; Packard Type IU-23 or IL-23" and "Battery to Ground - Gauge No. 1; Packard 5U-23."
Do not use 12 Volt style cables as they are No. 2 gauge and will not carry enough current to turn the engine over properly. I often hear of owners who want to convert their old cars to 12 volt because they claim they start hard. Usually all that is wrong is over the course of the 60  year life of the car, someone has installed the newer 2 gauge cables. If you get the correct gauge cables and a good charged battery these cars start just fine on 6 volts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:03:50 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it.
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »
I was able to  mace negative cable from bulk welding cable and available ends from big box store could get it in any length works greak