Author Topic: Henry J Engine: Rebuild or replace?  (Read 3154 times)

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry J Engine: Rebuild or replace?
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
My '53 Corsair smokes badly and has less than ideal compression in 2 cylinders.  I put new spark plugs in and did the Sea Foam trick in the cylinders, along with various additives to the oil as well as to the fuel itself, but still lots of smoke and under par power.  I have gotten conflicting advice about rebuilding this Willys engine versus replacing it with a rebuilt one.  I have a mechanic who will do whichever I choose, but he recommends replacement.  (BTW, he has restored a 1947 Willys recently.)  Any recommendations on where to obtain a rebuilt, should that be your advice?  I found one at Midwest Jeep for $1,864, assuming it would work; it's a Willys L-134 flathead 4-cylinder.  Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Henry J Engine: Rebuild or replace?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
Unless your engine has alot of miles on it, or was rebuilt in it's past, I would go for having yours rebuilt. Assuming it's a 4 cylinder, parts are available just about anywhere you can find Jeep stuff. Buying a rebuilt off the shelf is easier, but you never know what went into rebuilding someone else's engine!

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »
I realize I am a bit different in my outlook from some of our members. With your problem, as stated, if this was the 50's few people, including me would do a complete engine overhaul.The chances you will drive this car another 50,000 miles is very scant. I would then and now ,just do a ring and valve job. If for no other reason ,mechanics with experience on this engine are few and far between. the less you tear down the better your chances of a good repair.A R &V ,along with replaceing the oil pump,will give you another 20,000 miles.

If you can get a complete rebuild from a reputable rebuilder at off the street costs( not a freinds and family deal) for much under $2,000, I will be suprised.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
Remove all plugs ,check and record the compression.Add 1 oz. of motor oil to each cylinder.Repeat the compression.If there is little difference between the readings on the two problem cylinders, then I would do a valve job before thinking about a rebuild.
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »

The question I always asked my customers was "what do you want when were done" if you want it good everything has to be in good shape. These are long stroke engines and as such they wear the rings out pretty fast. They are also hard on rod bearings. Valves dont seem to suffer too much. If you rebuild yours you know what you have, with a rebuilt you are taking a chance. These observations are based on having serviced several of these engines that were used in jeeps,welders and other places where they had to "earn their keep"

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »
My HJ is registered with eng #. If that's the case, I would rebuild.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Willys cylinder heads are not marked the same as the K-F types and electrical parts may not be the same in terms of brand, etc.  Delco Remy has to match DR and Autolite needs to match AL for proper performance.

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the great advice, tips, photos, and personal input--all so very helpful (as always).  A-rebuilding I will go!