Author Topic: Caribbean Coral  (Read 10989 times)

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Caribbean Coral
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
I have an original '49 Kaiser paint / upholstery showroom album. I would be willing to take it to a local paint jobber for a scan. Let me know if I can help.

http://images16.fotki.com/v258/photos/5/1449415/10384280/100_1587-vi.jpg

custom
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
I live in rural South Georgia so finding someone who know what a Kaiser is can be a challenge let alone someone who can mix Caribbean Coral. I am the plant manager at a large Railcar repair facility and spray a lot of paint so I have some in roads with PPG. I used a base coat clear coat in Guardsman blue and loved how the paint went on and the finish looked. The setup retailed for about &900 a gallon. I want my Kaiser the correct color but did not realize it would be this difficult. I own several mid 60 Fords and it's not that difficult to get the right color.

If the Cadillac color is so close no one could tell it would probably be easy to get that mixed. But I don't want it if someone who knows what he is looking at knows it's not right.  I have trunk and door jams as a guide but not sure how close someone can mix off of that.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Go to TCP Global's online site. They have all the paint chips and formulae for everything, going back to buggies. I recently got some 53K Australian beige and sabre jet blue from them and they are an exact match for paint on my car that was never exposed to light (undersides of window frames etc.) The paint also goes on nicely and is relatively inexpensive. The problem with having someone use a scanner to figure out what you have is that if you don't bring a sample that has always been in the dark the color will be wrong, and if you do the scanners are not perfect and have variations so the color may still be wrong.

TCP got everything ready in a couple of days and shipped it UPS. The only thing to be aware of is that the chip colors they show online are not that accurate, due to inability of scanners and computer monitors to duplicate that closely. Both my colors were off on my monitor, but the real paint I got was right. Actually they inform you not to take what you see on the screen too literally. I'd suggest this as the easiest way to get the right color. I have heard from owners of other makes that the color matching is also very accurate for their cars.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:32 AM »
The Henry J that I bought was in pieces and had already been painted.  It was missing its glove box door.  I took the front splash pan off by the front bumper.  Our local PPG painter scanned the front pan and came out with perfect match.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:44:42 AM »
Shading paint has always been an inexact science. Scanners and computers have helped, but it still comes down to a trained eye knowing what it takes to build a color. Many years go, I was a shader for a company now owned by Sherwin Williams and we had to pass a four part test to be allowed to shade earth tones. I had to apprentice under a master shader and eventually, I was permitted to shade any color. I'm sure even today, a human eye is used to ensure batches of paint match one another from a master chip.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 06:40:53 AM »
The human eye, coupled with a spectrometer has long been the "test" for paint colors and shades; an issue of KAISER-FRAZER DEALER NEWS talks about inspection at the plant to try and maintain consistency of color and other tests used to verify durability of the paint for color hold.  My best suggestion is to contact your local PPG jobber and bring in the original color name and the paint # off your firewall tag (there was some change in composition & resulting shade in some cases, between model years).  The jobber can get a current mix formula from the PPG Color Library.  They take their master paint chip and run it through their computer spectrometer.  The jobber gets the mixing information from the Color Library at no charge (it is part of factory support of the jobber) but it not supposed to pass on the mixing formula to the customer.  They do this for various makes of old cars and trucks and as far as I am aware there have been no instances where the information is innaccurate.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
I went to the TPC Global site and according to them they can mix the color in their brand or PPG. They can mix it as lacquer or enamel or base coat. If what they say is true my search is over for the right color. 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
Jack's spot on with his advice on PPG 2 posts ago.  That's exactly what my PPG jobber did...contacted the factory in Pittsburgh...took about a week but the color (Jade Tint) came back perfect.  Apparently they have the original chips stored in climate controlled environments.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:37:20 PM »
 I went to PPG with a glove box and a paint chip I bought off of Ebay.  I was looking for about a quart of paint to paint the firewall with.  While under the front fenders I found much of the original color toward the rear of the well.  When I put some of the new paint on my finger and touched it against what was under the fenders it matched perfectly. 

Very please with the color and cant wait until I paint the entire body. Thanks for all of the help on this one.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
Great!
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Guys, is it possible to have a list of all available paint colors back then for 1951 Kaisers? Thanks !

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »
Explore this site for some KF Colors.
http://circlekf.com/kfcars/colors.htm
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
Was asked for a few under hood shots of a 49 or 50K.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 03:55:12 PM »
Some follow up...the glass jar pictured in the b/w photo is for a windshield washer kit. KF offered it as an accessory installed at the dealership. It used engine vacuum to draw fluid from the reservoir when a under dash button was pressed. Nozzles installed at the wiper base did the rest of the work.

Also attached is a right side pic of a 49-50 2bbl engine...however the engine painted the wrong color. The 2 bbl engine should be light green.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
the vacuum line running from the fuel pump to the wiper motor, is the way it is supposed ran?  I thought I read somewhere the line is supposed to be medal up to a point and then turns to a rubber line.  I have a medal line coming off the fuel pump through the manifolds and then bending toward the fire wall.  Is that correct or not? 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan