Author Topic: Air Cleaner needed  (Read 2355 times)

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
Air Cleaner needed
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »
It's going on a 54 Manhattan but the Supercharger has long since disappeared. I'm not sure if it's the SC Carb with the box removed or, if the 54 carb was replaced with a 53 carb. (Which I'm told was frequently done if the supercharger is removed.)

When I bought the car it came with one of those little 4" diameter chrome things with a pleated filter in it. It creates a lot of cabin noise so I'd like to go back to the original oil bath filter and SILENCER.

The top of the carb measures 2 9/16" diameter from what I can tell. It might be 2 5/8" since that seems to be a popular adapter size.

Rick

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Air Cleaner needed
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
Your car now sports either a 51/52 or a 53 carburetor. The 54 unit requires the use of at least the supercharger enclosure base to work. The 54 Late Special air cleaner will fit...come to think of it, the 53 unit will too. Check ebay...they do come up for sale every now and then.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
I have a 54 setup; air cleaner, air box and carb from a parts car, I do not have the rubber plumbing if interested I can sell the shooting match for $50.00 plus shipping to your address.  Please advise.  John

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
I appreciate the offer John but the supercharger was removed long ago so at this point, I think I'd just like an air cleaner that sits on top of the carb. I think the supercharger air filter sat beside the carb and was quite tall.