Author Topic: clutch shudder  (Read 1454 times)

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
clutch shudder
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:07:55 PM »
when i pull out in the car it shudders ,,is it the clutch or does the fly wheel maybe need turned has anyone else had this problem .the clutch feels great it grabs good doesnt slip or anything
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: clutch shudder
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:53:28 PM »
If car's sat for a long time, it could be that the flywheel has rust on it. If so, when the clutch is released, you'll have some chatter. Oil or grease on the clutch disc will cause the same problem. Drive it for a while and see if things improve. More often than not, it will.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
I had this happen on my Henry J. Drove it for two years like that and decided I had to do something. I don't know what it's like to do a clutch on the Kaiser but doing it on the J is major surgery so when I got it all apart, I replaced everything - disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and had the flywheel resurfaced. It's amazing now - works so smooth and shifts so nice, like a new car.  As joe mentioned, it may go away for you and I hope it does. But if it doesn't and you're going to go through the effort of taking it down to get to at the clutch, you may as well do the whole job. You won't regret it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
THANKS GUYS HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO FIND A CLUTCH FOR THESE CARS,,,AND ARE THEY VERY EXPENSIVE.
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

retired wrench

• View Profile
Rmounte: clutch shudder
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »

In rare cases a weak or broken motor mount can cause problems like this also.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 06:34:51 AM »
Not sure where you live, but if you're near a major city, there should be a clutch shop that can do the work. A local shop near me rebuilt the disc, refaced the flywheel and pressure plate and replaced the pressure plate springs for tad over $100. Individual parts appear on ebay as well.