Author Topic: Supercharger fuel pumps  (Read 3585 times)

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
Supercharger fuel pumps
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:21:28 AM »
I'm a little hesitant to send off my 54 fuel pump to Carter to be rebuilt, does anyone know of a rebuild kit still available ? . I have been through other carter fuel pumps and they are pretty simple to work on.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Supercharger fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:32 AM »
If you do want to send it out you could send it to Rudy Philips, 760-789-3608.  He rebuilds them.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
I bought a Carter fuel pump rebuild kit for my Henry J pump last December and rebuilt it. I installed it on the car last week and it works great.  I got it from  "Then & Now Automotive" in Weymouth, MA. Their website is not working right now but their phone is 1-781-335-8860 or e-mail oldpartstom@aol.com
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:50:46 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »
I just googled Then and Now Automotive and the first hit comes up with the website. Either they've fixed it or relocated. The site is a subfolder from maritimedragracing.com.

hxxp://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm
(Change the x's to t's. I'm not sure if live links are allowed here. Some forums don't allow them.)

They have a detailed section on fuel pumps but it doesn't look like they have a "list" of parts. You email them and I assume they respond with what they can help you with.

"Kaiser" is not in the list of "Makes" they support but Henry J and Frazer are. So I think Kaiser was just overlooked.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:52:11 PM »
One more thing. Another option is that Kanter rebuilds the supercharger pumps but on an exchange basis only. Can't buy one and recover a core charge later.

As I say, just another option. Rudy is a club member so having him do it supports the membership.

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »
Thanks guy's for the ideas. I will send it to Rudy

lacyf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:11 AM »
Hi; A few years ago,I had several Kaisers and Frazers...And at the time there was a great concern about the additives in the gasoline ruining (or being bad )for the stock valves.....At that time I used gasoline additives (lead) to help preserve the engine,,,Also the same problem existed for the fuel pump gaskets...Now I have a 54 Manhatten...will these precautions be needed for this car?   Thanks for all the knowlege you all share,,

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
I don't know about everyone else but I pick up a few large bottles of lead substitute from Wal-Mart every time I'm in the US. I believe it's around 10 bux and treats around 300 gallons of gas.

The lead in the old gas helped with heat transfer between the valves and the valve seats each time the valve closed. Without the lead, the valves run hotter and the fix (not necessarily available) is harder valves and seats. It's cheaper to put the additive in the gas IMO.

I've got a 1949 Ford tractor that I use the stuff in as well. And for the same reasons. I'm not sure whether there is any truth to the idea that you need different diaphrams in fuel pumps when you run unleaded gas but several sellers on eBay make it a major selling point that their rebuilt vintage fuel pumps (for all cars) are "designed for unleaded gas".

Note: They don't sell the same product in Canadian Wal-Mart stores. The stuff they do carry - same brand "Gunk" as Canadian Tire sells - is about $8 a bottle and does ONE TANK. THAT kind of expense adds up awfully fast.

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
"I'm not sure whether there is any truth to the idea that you need different diaphrams in fuel pumps when you run unleaded gas but several sellers on eBay make it a major selling point that their rebuilt vintage fuel pumps (for all cars) are "designed for unleaded gas". "

Just plain unleaded won't make any difference to the pump, BUT, the unleaded with the 10% ethanol mixed in will ruin any hoses, diaphrams, and gaskets not designed to handle it.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
That might be what they actually mean when they make the claim on their rebuilds. There is another vendor on ebay selling brand new 6 volt electric fuel pumps with the title: "6 volt Electric Fuel unleaded gas Pump- factory fresh!"

I can't see what "unleaded" has to do with anything.