Author Topic: proper oil filter cartridge  (Read 1459 times)

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
proper oil filter cartridge
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
I am trying to rectify an ongoing oil leak @the top of the oil filter canister on my 1947 Frazer.This has been a persistent and annoying problem I think I know what is going on. Changed the oil and filter a few weeks ago, started engine and found oil coming out of top of housing lid.  Just enough to drip down and make a mess. Once it gets down about a quart, it isn't so problematic.  I have been using a NAPA #1080 filter which fits quite nicely but I now don't think is 'tall' enough to seal properly when the top is screwed on, no resistance is felt so I don't think the spring is compressing to initiate the seal.  My cross reference list also showed a slightly taller filter, NAPA #1010, but that won't even fit over the center piece in the filter housing itself.  Now I'm confused and frustrated.  I did read somewhere that you could place a shim in the top assembly to cause the spring to push down on the seal but am uncomfortable with that.  Maybe my cross reference is wrong.  I've had the car a few years but only encountered(or created) this problem within the past 2 years when I started using the NAPA filter.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
                           Bob Guinn  #5336

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: proper oil filter cartridge
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:38 PM »
My guess is that you have a filter housing that differs from those KF used. Can you post a picture? It'll help diagnose the problem.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: proper oil filter cartridge
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
Assuming that you have the standard equipment oil filter casing on the Frazer, the AC Weatherly book from 1989 shows only NAPA 1070 or 1071 filter will work for a P70-FF.  You have to consider not only size but flow characteristics (full flow, reverse flow, etc).  1080's were NOT recommended for the application back then and I would guess that unless the 1080 is a new number (doubtful) it may come close but not be physically the correct size for proper function.

Barbara and I will be mailing out KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 by the end of the week or thereabouts (depending on printer and time to stuff and label envelopes).  It will go out to all Life Members and Regular Members (Associate Members do not get publications) currently on the books.  There is an interchange list based on the Weatherly book information (AC referred to their cross-reference catalogs as "Weatherly books").  You may find other options locally available or at swap meets.  Prices vary widely so I don't quote such things.