Author Topic: 1954 Willys Aero Eagle Hardtop 1 of 4  (Read 8752 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
1954 Willys Aero Eagle Hardtop 1 of 4
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4160886857.html

This is a 1954 Willys (pronounced will-is) Aero Eagle Custom Hardtop, One of the last 4 known to exist. It has 23,527 miles on it, believed to be actual. It is very solid, nearly rust-free, having spent the most of it's time on the salt-free roads of California, last licensed in 1965, and since 2005, in climate controlled storage in Wisconsin, ready for restoration. This car was in isolated storage in a sealed off garage for nearly 40 years until discovered in 2003 by a man in La Hambra, CA. Due to the low mileage, it may very well be that you all you would have to do is replace all the gaskets in the engine and transmission, and that could get it running again, as it does not run at this point.

The car is unique and very rare. It has a clear Wisconsin title that states "previously titled in CA". The car is an early unibody design and has a very different suspension and steering system from most cars of it's day. The Hardtop styling was to give the appearance of a convertible when all 4 windows were rolled down. This car is lower than most of it's day and had excellent ride and handling as well as 61 inches of seating width. The engine is a 226 Cu. In., Kaiser Based, "Super Hurricane" Continental that is rated at 115 hp, and it has a 4-speed dual range hydramatic transmission. These cars were equipped with a heater, radio, deluxe carpeting, special two tone yellow and red paint, full color-keyed wheel covers with an embossed "W", white-wall tires, custom chrome, and stainless trim, a deluxe hood ornament, custom steering wheel trim, bumper guards, and a Continental Spare tire mounted on the back.

You can research the car's rarity and it's exclusive history at the http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero/ . Rick Kamen is one of the most foremost authorities on these cars, and has a lot of statistical data on his website.

The history of the car is as follows: The dealers' son who contacted me relayed to me the story that the dealers back in 1954 were offered the 1954 "Special" as a promotional vehicle with exclusive access to be able to get them into their showrooms. The car was the featured car on the front of the sales brochure for that year. They could sell them or offer the customers the opportunity to order a car identical to them. The MC2 was, however, exclusive, and there are only 2, or possibly 3 viable cars yet around today that still exist. I actually found one in Northern Wisconsin, that a salvage dealer had kept back when he sold his salvage yard, and went into farming. However, the car was a "basket case", as it has been sitting in a marshy area for over 20 years, and only various parts were intact enough to still be usable-the body was too rusted out to save.

Cars 2 and 3 are owned by us and a guy from North central Illinois. It is rumored that there may be a 4th car still remaining down south in the Alabama-Georgia area. These cars have not been appraised or given a value because they've never come up for sale due to their rarity.

One very unique fact about this car is that the interior code of "40" is evident in no other Willys cars, or known factory supplied information. It was unique to that one car.

We began to collect parts for it over 15 years ago, and have a collection of NOS and used body, trim, glass, mechanical, brake, suspension, exhaust parts, and paint, as well as manuals, service bulletins, sales brochures, and other literature, go along with the car. (Being worth about $12,000 if you could even find them) We have a lot of used parts and professionally tinted base coat, and red and yellow paint in more than enough quantity to refinish the entire car. The paint is worth over $1500. The seats themselves have been redone, and some work has been started on the car.

I hope to sell with the car, as the car is in good restorable condition, and the parts and other various items for $12,500.

The car and parts are being sold as is where is with no guarantees or warranties of any kind. Additional photos, Q&A, and a parts list are available by request. 1st $12,500.00 takes the car, and the various parts I am including with it. If you want more parts from me, you can make an offer on them.

The price is FIRM and non-negotiable, although we are willing to take more from the first one who makes a bid.

We welcome any questions and will do our best to answer them promptly and accurately.

My cell phone # is 608-617-0113. New owner must make arrangements for transport/shipping. New owner must remove car and all parts within 45 days of purchase. PURCHASE BY CASH ONLY - NO REFUNDS. PAYMENT DUE UPON PICKUP

Some of the NOS parts we are including with the car include:
 NOS front park lamps
 NOS grille emblem chrome "W"
 NOS grille bar
 NOS bumper guards
 NOS windshield
 NOS original mohair carpets and inserts
 NOS heater core
 NOS heater blower motor
 NOS dash knobs
 NOS 1 piece rear glass
 NOS tailights
 AND lots and lots more of NOS parts
 AND many NORS parts
 AND used parts
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 1954 Willys Aero Eagle Hardtop 1 of 4
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
I owned that car's clone. It's an Aero Eagle Custom. Mine had a 6 with the hydramatic and had the same paint and interior...although mine, overall was a much better car. I paid $800 for mine because the seller thought the engine was stuck. He tried turning the fan and when it wouldn't spin, he pronounced the engine as seized. I replaced the water pump and was driving the car the same day.

I can, off the top of my head, think of at least a half dozen of the cars...same color and interior...that exist and runners. Aside from the one I sold, another lives in PA, a third in MI, and one in MO. The others are out west. There are another two that need work in a private CO collection. The cars the seller mentions would add to my list.

Interesting the stories people hear and pass along when trying to sell a "rare" car. While only 302 were made and only a fraction still exist...as we all know, rarity does not bring value with it.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Does this car have the "Eagle Custom" emblems on the front fenders?  Why do you think that no more exist?  These could be ordered in any of the standard Willys colors.  Mine is maroon and white and apparently many had Hydramatic trans.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »
gordie

I cut and pasted all that content from the seller's craigs list ad. It's not mine, but I felt it was interesting content and did not want it lost if the ad was deleted by the seller.

I had no idea on this model. If the 226 and hydramatic were standard then I would imagine this car would scoot right along.

No old cars owned.

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »
I have the one in Michigan. Still repairing rust, but the interior is original and undamaged.
Second only to the Corvette in power to weight in 1954.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
You should see the live studio commercial for the car that was part of the 1954 Auto-Lite special saluting the various car lines using their products.  I have a kinnescope copy of the ad.   They pushed the 27% more power than last year's versions rather well.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:37:58 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
There were 302 Eagle Customs built in 1954 (serial number 654-MC2 1xxxx). All had continental kits, vinyl upholstery, "Eagle Custom" script on the side and Hydramatics (at least all the ones in the registry are this way). Also, as far as I can tell, all had Bristol Red roofs with Palm Beach Ivory bodies (paint codes 106 & 93 - he may be calling the off-white a yellow in his ad) with matching vinyl upholstery (trim code 40 has been reported several times but only on 1954 Eagle Customs, but I cannot find any factory reference to it. Also, at least 3 cars reported have a trim code 149 which is red naugahyde). I can account for at least 9 or 10 of these Eagle Customs, so the seller's "4 remaining" is incorrect.
That's a nice plug he gave me, thanx. I believe I spoke on the phone with him once or twice and he may have sent a pic or two. I seem to remember it as a nice car. This may have been the car from Ricker Motors in Whittier, CA that I saw 30 years ago.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »
Aeroman, I don't think this is the Mike Ricker one, I think I know where the Ricker one is here in Whittier.  Ricker long gone but the family still has many if his old cars. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:55:17 AM »
This would be a fun and interesting car to own - an Aero custom, but I am not spending $13,000 on a project when there are so many equally interesting cars out there for $500-$1500.   
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
I've got the Ricker Motors Aero.  I found one of their License plate frames on the back seat.  It is a nice car with Hydramatic and the red and white paint scheme.  I
have the 1963 California title for it and it was registered to a couple in Montebello CA.  The serial number on the title is HW6L10998 but that may be the engine number as all cars were registered by engine numbers until 1955 in CA. The body type on the title says EGLEC226. According to the 1954 Willys passenger salesman data book The Eagle Custom only came in one color combination (Palm Beach Ivory & Bristol Red with Ivory as the lower color.   Interiors were combination Coronada Sand and Bristol Red Naugahyde (piped) and Coronada Sand Naugahyde head lining).  Was Ricker Motors a Willys dealer at one time or just a used car dealer?  Thanks
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
The seller states the price is firm except he is open to offers above the selling price.  Sad, really.  With no offense, would we agree that KF guys are generally seeking a "bargain" and I think we could agree that few outside of the KF hobby would understand the significance of this car and it's "cool" factor.
No old cars owned.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
Gordy, Mike Ricker was the mad man muntz of Whittier.  He had Willys, Studebakers. Rambler, amc.  Then he was a vintage car buyer/dealer.  He bought classics, restored them, and overpriced them on his car lot.  My grandfather was good friend of his, but Ricker would not make us a deal on the Henry J and Allstate he had on his rear lot needing restoration.  How did you come about buying the Willys?  You Buy it from Ricker family?
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 01:25:20 PM »
A  collector named Kenny Tucker had owned this car and was in the process of doing a mechanical restoration on it when he passed away.  I bought it and a 1953 Aero Eagle coupe from his family.  They were both pretty nice cars needing light cosmetic restorations.  I have the '54 running now but need to get it painted.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
Rick,

What is your source for colors and trims?  Are you using an attachment from the dealer ordering Trade Letter, some distributor's list of availabilities or ?????   

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
The colors and trim are listed in the 1954 Willys data book.  The  Eagle Deluxe came in six different color combinations but the Eagle Custom came only in the one combination described in the earlier post and was not available on the other Eagles.  .  Page two in the Color and Trims section.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom