Author Topic: bumper jack or floor jack  (Read 934 times)

sds501

• View Profile
    • Email
bumper jack or floor jack
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
Does anyone have experience with using a small hydraulic floor jack in place of the bumper jack ?  I have bad memories of using the bumper jack back in the day on my "54 and I have a small hydraulic floor jack I keep in my '93 Ford E150 custom hi top van that works very well when needed without the sharp angle and height of a bumper jack.  I assume I could place it under the axle or front suspension but I am not sure if this will give me wheel well clearance needed to change a tire on the road. 

Thanks for any info as I haven't seen this discussed on the forum.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Early Special 2DR

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: bumper jack or floor jack
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
I have a 1949 Kaiser that I recently changed the tires.  I did mine in a garage and lifted the rear using a floor jack under the rear end bell housing.  I installed 7.10 x 15 tires on the car. I could not get the tire to go in the rear fender well with deflating the tires first.  Had I lifted the car from the body/bumper I may not have had this problem.  The car had 15 inch trailer tire on it and I pulled and tugged but did get them off without deflating the tires.

Had no issue with the front tires.  Hope that helps.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: bumper jack or floor jack
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
I got tired of the original jack for my '53 when the bumpers started getting loose and started carrying a floor jack. Does lift nicely under the axle housing, but creates the problem in removing the tire. Putting it under the frame solves the problem, as this is equivalent to the bumper jack. For the front, under the frame works the same way. For all cars, I carry some wood blocks to put under the jack. This gives added lift, as floor types have less than the bumper jack and provides better footing for some roadside conditions.