Author Topic: Dual carb cylinder head  (Read 4131 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Dual carb cylinder head
« on: November 05, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
Been looking for one of these heads for some time now and finally got one. Had to drop a couple old carbs on it for a look see.
I think I've got the linkage worked out, still thinking about which way to go on air cleaners. Not that I'm in  rush since there's hardly two parts of my car fastened together at this point.
It's supposed to boost output to 110HP

The lettering says "Cast in Taubete" (Sao Paulo)

I've heard someone put one of these on their Jeepster years ago, anyone familiar with whoever did that?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:58:21 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dual carb cylinder head
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
Look good, I am sure with a little bit of looking you can find two oil bath air cleaners that will work.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
That's for the 161 engine...great find as they're almost nonexistent here in the states. I have an Edmunds aluminum 2 carb intake for a 226 that just might end up on the 47 I'm going to build.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »
I've often thought of trying to find one for my Aero. Was it a progressive linkage or were both carbs running all the time ?
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
I've often thought of trying to find one for my Aero. Was it a progressive linkage or were both carbs running all the time ?

I haven't studied the linkage arrangement on the Brazil model since the carbs I've found there seem to run around $900, I just assumed they were synchronized. I'm going with standard US carbs and am going to gang the linkage to be synchronized like I've seen before on 2 carb cars and run the choke cable to just one.
So far the biggest issue is the air cleaners which will need to be modified to fit 2 carbs so close together, unless I get some sort of modern aftermarket type which I'm loathe to do. I could get a Brazil type air cleaner but it's sort of a bulky "across the engine" arrangement. I'm leaning away from that for now.

If you look look for a head on Mercadolivre it's an "aero willys cabecote". Right now there's a junkyard dual carb 2600 engine on there but it's way overpriced. Because of expedited versus surface freight weight categories, I could've shipped 3 heads via surface cheaper than 1 due to a minimum for surface. I've been looking but unfortunately the only heads I've found recently were single carb versions, so I just paid the premium.

By the way, I was looking at your car a couple days ago and had to show it to my wife, it looks great! I also have an early '54 Lark, well, pretty much all the pieces to make one.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
Thanks for the info !Hope all those pieces come together.The Aero was a very good car :)
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the info !Hope all those pieces come together.The Aero was a very good car :)
Yes, it's the first car I owned after getting my license.  I really liked driving it and believe it or not, $5 worth of gas would run me all over creation for a whole week! Bringing it back is a slow process, I'm really looking forward to driving it again.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
My car is a bit of an oddball . A retagged 53. So it has the 53 dash, but 54 tail lights and windshield. I would guess there are very few still around.
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
My car is a bit of an oddball . A retagged 53. So it has the 53 dash, but 54 tail lights and windshield. I would guess there are very few still around.

I have seen maybe 6 or 8 of these over the years, in both two and four door versions. I always thought it was odd with the early dash when the reserialed Aces and Eagles got the new dash.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 12:34:56 AM »
There are still a few mysteries out there.
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »

Same for me, pretty much a leftover 2 door '53 tarted up with '54 trim & title. At times I've wondered if it was just assembled from whatever leftover parts happened to be at hand. One piece windshield with plain rubber but the back glass had the stainless trim. From all the varied parts sources, the restoration is certainly keeping with the spirit of the cars origin.