Author Topic: A few Kaiser experiments...  (Read 1533 times)

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
A few Kaiser experiments...
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
I'm trying a few things out on my '51 Special, Lasagna.

First, I put some aluminized fiberglass self-adhesive heat shielding on the "Fid baffle" (heat shield between the exhaust and the pump) and on the fuel lines leading out of the pump. About half way to my house I stopped for gas. I checked the temps on the lines, and they still seem pretty warm. I checked again when I got home and the lines were pretty hot. I could touch them, but wouldn't leave my fingers on them. I'm not sure if I'm keeping the heat in or keeping it out! Most of the heat seems to originate in the fuel pump itself. She did run fine the whole way in stop and go and farting around Lake Calhoun.

Second, I took that spare K emblem and comparing it to the one on Lasagna, I found them to be almost identical in wear. The one on the car seems a tiny bit better in the quality of the enamel, but the pitting is about the same. Since I'm saving the NOS one for a later date, I decided to take the spare and coat it in clear enamel. I figure it should keep it from deteriorating any further, and make the enamel on it look much better. I'm gonna spray a few more coats before I put it on. It'll be interesting to see how the clear holds up. You can't see it very well in the picture except that the enameled areas look darker.

Third, I tried the '50 Chevy headlight rings/doors out for size. I got one of them on, but they are just a tiny bit too big. I think the gap around the headlight looked funny. I thought they might be a good "beater set" since they are shinier than the others but not Kaiser parts so I don't care about them getting dinged or whatnot. I guess I'll just have to see what they go for on eBay. (sorry no picture)

Anyone try anything similar?
KFOCI #9798