Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Project  (Read 9056 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Project
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
Robert, Rudy Phillips in CA has repro rear lenses for your car.  Also, FYI, the horn button shown on the steering wheel in the photo (steering column removed) is from a 52; the 53 looks the same but has a black background.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »
Thanks. I knew that steering wheel emblem wasn't correct but I didn't know what year is was for. Actually, the only thing I'm using off of that entire assembly is the steering wheel itself. I know it's not the right type for my car but it'll do until I find one. I'm hoping the manufacturing fund will repro the wheels again some day.  Thanks again for the info.
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:17 AM »
The fund has been considering having more steering wheels cat, however the problem has been finding acceptable cores. With the last run, rejects outnumbered good cores about 3 to 1...many were bent or poorly assembled at the factory. We discussed having cores made as well but it quickly made the final product far too expensive at somewhere north of $500 a wheel.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 12:12:22 AM »
I will have a core I can send in when/if they decide to try it again. I was talking to Mike about it when we were picking parts and he said he'd send in at least one core too just to get it going. Keep us updated.
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
Been a few months since I updated here. A lot has happened since then! First and foremost, we're in the middle of the cold season here in Michigan. Got to say, I'm VERY thankful that it isn't nearly as brutal thusfar as it was last year! I did get a heat source for my garage and it has worked out great. I bought one of those kerosene torpedo heaters. Little bit loud but it's worth it.

As I mentioned in my last update I did get the trans. pan off and cleaned out. Found a "mystery part" inside and with the help of you fellows here on the forum, identified it as the piece that goes on top of the dipstick and keeps it from wobbling around in the hole. Other than that, the pan looked good. Little bit of material in there but not much at all. Also got the oil pan put back on and everything else I had to disconnect to get the pan off has been put back together. Decided to do a little write-up on the long and complicated process of removing it. That can be seen here: http://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,6851.0.html.

Let's see....what else? Got the new timing chain put on. Boy, was that an adventure!! The chain I bought was the new type and was a tad bit tighter than the original. Again, with the help of fellow forum'ers, I finally got it. Heated it in the oven at 450 for an hour, applied LOTS of lube, and it finally slipped into place. Put a new seal in the timing chain cover, got it put back on with a new gasket, and put the vibration damper/balancer back on. Removed a broken off bolt from the thermostat housing and got the housing put back on. I fixed the rigged up oil filter canister and now it's nice and tight in the strap. Also replaced another homebrewed "fix" by making a new stud for the back side of the oil filter strap. Someone had put a bolt in there. Re-built the Carter 999S carburetor on my kitchen table (thanks Honey!!). It's currently awaiting a new inlet fitting so I can put it back on. Took apart the generator and cleaned and lubed it. That thing was filthy! Took me 2 hours to clean! Never taken apart a generator so I had a lot of fun figuring that out. I love taking things apart to see what make them tick.

That's about it except for a bit of bad news. I already knew I had at least one stuck valve. Several of you had suggested that to me after seeing the video of the engine running for the first time. I confirmed today that I have not one, but TWO stuck valves. I believe they are both exhaust valves. Starting at the front and counting back they would be the 7th and 12th valves. I sprayed them down with an ATF/acetone mix and worked them up and down. I can get them to close by gently tapping them with a long bolt and hammer through the spark plug holes. But when I rotate the engine they go back up and get stuck open again. I'm going to keep dousing them with my mixture and working them up and down for a few days. Hopefully, they will work free. So that's where I'm at right now. Making progress but still a TON more to do and a TON more $$ to spend before old Linus will be ready to cruise the streets of Michigan with Lucy.
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300