Author Topic: WILLYS IN "COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE" MAGAZINE  (Read 2182 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
WILLYS IN "COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE" MAGAZINE
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:16 AM »
I have a copy of the Feb. 1990 CA mag.
Several articles, by Langworth and our own Kamen, about Willys with a special about the Aero-Willys in Brazil.

Additionally, mention of Willys in the article about Collectible Literature and a pic of Aero model in another blurb about Colllectible Scale Automobiles.

Truely a wealth of info!

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
Re: WILLYS IN "COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE" MAGAZINE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
I was contacted by the editor, the magazine was looking for an Aero or two to photograph for the article. The cars belonged to a several club members: myself, Lew Retzer, Tom McDowell, Roy Umberger, Dave Horton, Bob Fox. Tom Null's car once belonged to Jack Edward and Brooks Stevens's Brazilian eventually was owned by Bill Tilden, who brought it to Sweetwater in 2012.
One of the conditions of me finding all those cars for them was that I got to proof the article before publication and I corrected some errors. I also ran the fact checker by member Duane Hayes, who's listed at the end of the article.
One of the photos of my car that was not used in the article ended up on one of the publishers collector car cards (see attached).
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
It wonderful to see these articles are still around. Even cooler that at least, you and Lew still have the cars !!
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
Tom Null still has Jack Edward's '55 Bermuda, Dave Horton stills has his '54 Lark Deluxe, Bob Fox still has his '54 Ace Deluxe (although it was for sale last I knew), Bill Tilden's family still has Brooks Stevens's Brazilian and I believe Tom Null has Dave Horton's Brazilian. Bob Weber's car is formerly owned by Harrah's and I saw it at the Labor Day Kruse auction in 2003 in Indiana, but it did not sell then, dunno where it is now. It only had about 4500 miles on it! I think Tom McDowell sold his '52 Lark, but it was at the Queen Mary national in 1989. George Pitts was the original owner of that '52 Ace and I have no idea whatever happened to that car, perhaps Duane Hayes owns it now.
So I guess Aero owners keep their cars for a while, huh? I just celebrated 35 years with Old Toby.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
WHEW! Duane has many more cars than when I was last there. I'll have to plan another trip.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com