Author Topic: 1954 kaiser early special  (Read 6973 times)

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1954 kaiser early special
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »
Can anyone help me with copper luxura and white boucle {that is the rough texture vinyl I think}?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
SMS had both the white and Blue Luxura.  Send them a sample of your "Copper" and I bet they can make it if they don't have it in stock.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
Just to be clear luxura is the cloth insert that kinda looks like a heavy terrycloth. Copper is the color, it is a kinda cranberry color. Is that what we are talking about? .Because I reached out to SMS and they sent me a sample that was a type of velour. I need to be sure because I ordered something different because I was told it was not available. {sent SMS pics}Already set it up with the upholstery shop, If the correct material IS available I want to buy it. Thanks     Tom

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
This is the "Luxura" we got from SMS.  It is a modern material... not an exact match but it has the diamonds I was looking for and they dyed it specifically for me to match the blue bouche I had decided on.
The material show creases when you leave a suitcase or butt on it to long but it smooths out after bit.  I am happy with it. The custom dye ran the cost up $90 a yard.  ZOOM in on the Blue cloth on this seat an see what you think.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »
The sample they sent I think it is from your's it's blue. It looks great, looks much better than I expected, I thought it would look to new looking because it's  velour looking up close. You think that is as close to origionl as it gets?   

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »
How long ago did you get it so I can call and tell them that I will be looking for what you have.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
I got the material in 2010.  It is not perfect.  If the nap was a bit longer it would be better but it was the best I could find.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
Mike , I talked to Doug. on Friday12/4/2013 1:00  pm. He informed me he is running a grey color seat insert HYBRED on the looms now, for a Kaiser member and how ever it turns out will be the best that can be accomplished by his machinery and people, he didn't volunteer who that was. Our only recourse from that is to follow up on the information I have and have it done in Australia, with the wool/rayon overwrap as was the original material. The problem I had at the time of their quote was 500+ yards of each color.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
Thanks Richard.  The guy kills me...I've been trying to get him to run green for 4 years and he runs grey!  Oh well, we'll see what it looks like when he's finished.  Any idea if he plans to run other colors?  I'll drop him an e-mail and see if I can get a swatch of the grey when he's completed.

Wonder how many yards to do the seat inserts of a 54?

Thanks for the update!
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
Ok, lets say I do the seat inserts with a material I like better than the one you used but it's not original will that make the car less valuable?  The rest of the seats are original.

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »
Here is a couple of shots of the material. Tell me what you guys think. Be honest I don't want to make a mistake I will regret.

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
Here are more pics.

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
Be honest I won't be offended if you think it's a mistake.

Tom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Thought I'd ask the experts.......Well I guess not. At least can anyone say if it will diminish the value?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
The material is close but doesn't have the same pattern as the original. Finding NOS is almost impossible and the talk of having more done by a firm like SMS is at this point, just talk. If you plan to keep the car and drive it, I would use what you have. While it won't be inexpensive to have the work done, you will end up with a new set of seats that will provide good service for years to come. Then, one day when you're a lottery winner (don't we all wish) you can have the material reproduced and your seats reupholstered.