Author Topic: PARTS NEEDED - Hinges and Lock Assembly  (Read 1475 times)

Brady

• View Profile
    • Email
PARTS NEEDED - Hinges and Lock Assembly
« on: January 06, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
I don't know much about Kaiser's.  I'm really a Packard guy, but I found this Manhattan
that was being neglected and was probably destined for the crusher.  I have got it running and moving now, but I need some help from you guys to get it in a roadworthy state.  It is a '53 Manhattan for which I need two decent hood hinges (the two on the car are warped, twisted, and completely shot) and the entire lock assembly for the trunk lid (someone had removed all of it before I found the car - all I have is a trunk lid with a hole in it).  Answer here or email me directly at plumbsmith@ameritech.net or call 810-691-6352.  Thanks a bunch.

Brady

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: PARTS NEEDED - Hinges and Lock Assembly
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »
Wow.   Not a single response.  I am somewhat surprised by that.  I had hoped someone would sell me the parts to fix this thing. If I were looking for parts on the Packard site I would have gotten many helpful responses by now.  No wonder no one saved this thing.  Looks like it will be far more difficult to find parts than I had hoped.  Can anyone at least point me in the right direction.  Are there dedicated vendors in the Kaiser hobby?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Larry Barker should have a set of hinges  --- he has lots of 53s I do believe.  He is a Kaiser Vendor in Arizona.  Where are you located.  These hinges a weak spot on 53s and many of them have been used up.  It took me a bit of time to get the ones I have from Seth Jones another KF Vendor in San Diego.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »
Very tough to find NOS hinges and pretty much all used ones suffer from the same issues...loose, sloopy, etc.  I met this guy at the Charlotte Auto Fair show a couple of years ago and was impressed with his work.  His name is Willie Wilson; his web site is still working so that's a good sign of his business and quality.  If I needed a set of springs rebuilt, I'd use him.  www.hoodhingerepair.com

I'm a retired parts vendor as of this past December and a club member for 32 years. 

I have a 54 Kaiser and believe I have a spare trunk lock mechanism for my car.  I'll check tomororrow but can tell you the trunk eschutcheon and and lock/key are tough to find.

Hope you'll join the Kaiser Frazer Owners Club. 

Mike

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
Hi Brady, I sent you an e-mail as well. I think winter has a got a lot of people focused on conversation as opposed to actively engaging in activities like hunting parts. Usually people are pretty good about helping out but I'm glad you came back and  are persisting. I think you'll find help as a result of the suggestions being made.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 01:26:31 PM »
Brady,
 I have a pair of '53 Manhattan hood hinges. They are used but are not bent or sprung in any way.
 I live in Wisconsin, so shipping may be quite high.