Author Topic: Triangle Motors Home Movies (More)  (Read 2477 times)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Triangle Motors Home Movies (More)
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
I found some more footage of my grandfather's KF Distributorship in Jacksonville Florida (Triangle Motors).  Here is what I know.   My grandfather Marion France "Jimmie" Keys who was a fireman established a used car business prior to or just after the breakout of the second world war.  He prospered and ultimately owned three car lots.  Following the war he, Johnnie Garrison and Jack LaRue bought a plot of land and later sold it for $300,000.  The three of them decided to invest the money and my grandfather wanted out of used cars and into a new car dealership. 

The big ones were already taken so they went with Kaiser/Frazer.  My grandfather contributed $100,000 cash and then sold off all the used cars he owned, contributed that money and the land the showroom was built on.  Not sure what the others contributed outside of $100,000 each.

They started (according to business license) in early 1947.  You can see that lot in the movie (it is the first lot in the movies).  You can see some early Kaisers on the lot along with some pretty neat cars (even a Cadillac).  I'm not good on picking out year modles on early Kaisers a 47 and a 48 look the same to me.  So I am guessing the film was shot about 1947.

The second lot in the film is the lot the showroom was built on.  I don't see too many Kaisers in it but I think I see one parked on the curb.  Since it came from the same real I assume it was shot at the same time as the first lot...1947

The last shot I have already loaded that show the showroom.  My grandfather was still in business in 1949-1950 but was not longer in business in 1951 so he went bankrupt sometime in 1950.  I read the 1949 cars did not sell well and perhaps this is what contributed to his loss.  He maintained his showroom for about 18 months after opening it.  So I assume when it shows up in these films it is pretty new.

Anyway I think the films are neat, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did when I discovered them in my Great Aunt's attic almost 10 years ago.  The quality is not the best and I have made not attempt to edit them.  Maybe a project for another day.

Here is the YouTube link if you are interested http://youtu.be/fSjGz5IoYzo
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Triangle Motors Home Movies (More)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Can anyone date the cars in the footage of the open car lot?  I'm not good at picking out 47 and 48 and the film is not that clear.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Another great piece of film Joe. The KF cars are '47 or '48 but I also saw a '49 Ford and many other great cars from that time. When I see the KF cars in the lot I have to wonder if I ever encountered any of them in my hunts  in the Midwest for  KF products. I wonder if any of them ever ended up in the hands of a club member? Great stuff.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Hollenway

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing this video - How I wish someone had made videos of my Uncle's Dealership  - but sadly
as the family fragmented - so did the records of the car business.   

You have some treasured footage there -  As Fid said - " Great Stuff " !!!!!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
Some of the records of Stewart KF from Indianapolis survive and over the years, we've been able to connect a few current KF owners with the dealership.

Having film footage of a dealership is rare and we can't think you enough for sharing yours with us!

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
Thanks again for the great footage.  It was hard to tell the years of some of the '47-'48 cars as there were not a lot of differences in any of the makes as most were slightly modified 1942 models but some of the cars that were recognisable were the black 1948 Cadillac, a 1947-8 Mercury, '47-'48 Buick convertible, '48 Dodge pick-up, '41 Hudson on the used car lot along with '46 Ford, '41 Chrysler.  A 1949 Ford was visible on the street from inside the show room and they were announced in June 1948.  Also a 1940 Mercury club coupe was visible thru the showroom windows. A 1947-8 Olds. sedanette was parked on the street.  They seemed to be all '49 or '50 Kaisers and Frazer's in the showroom.  Having  a Kaiser-Frazer distributorship was a big deal and the newspaper ad probably listed all of the dealers that were under the distributorship.  A great treat for all of us!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
Thanks for the run down on all the cars. I'll have to go back and take another look. There is an interesting story about the Cadillac. Some inlaws owned the car and the man of the house who was a Doctor followed the advice of a fortune teller. One day the fortune teller told him to get rid of everything on the outside of his house or some kind of doom would follow him. He called my grandfather and offered to sell him his Cadillac. My grandfather told him it was too expensive of a car for him but the guy told him to make an offer. My grandfather when telling the story would then say "I was like that guy in the bible...I saw him coming so I took him in"

1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

KWZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
I would give anything to smell the interior of that brand new '49 Virginian.
'48 Kaiser Special
'49 Kaiser Virginian
'51 Frazer Manhattan convertible

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
I think if you look on the wall there is a poster advertising a Virginian. I'd like to have had the neon sign out side and the round KF signs on the wall. Grandmother had something in the attic but it been so long ago I for remember what. It went with the house when it was sold years ago I suppose.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan