Author Topic: Interior Project 1949 Kaiser  (Read 11710 times)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interior Project 1949 Kaiser
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
You are correct there is a strip of carpet that goes along the bottom of the frame at the back of the seat.  I had a hard time coming up with carpet for the car.  Mine did not have any carpet in it and the parts cars had carpet from the back to the firewall but it was badly faded.  I called a guy who advertises on ebay and says he reproduces carpet for a Kaiser but I learned he did not have anything close in color.  I also learned that in most Kaisers only the back floorboard was carpeted and the front had a rubber mat that is available from the manufacturing group.  I have not bought one yet but will.  My car is a Deluxe and from what folks said on this site it was correct in a Deluxe to either have carpet in the back floorboard only or to have it all the way up the firewall.

I could not find anyone who made rose colored automobile carpet so I went to a local carpet store and chose a carpet that was designed to go in an office.  Since the back floorboard is mostly flat it fits in the car nicely.  I had the edges bound so that it will match the windlace in the car.  I cut the piece large enough to go under the seats but not show up front.  While I could have heated and bent the carpet in the front, I thought it was much easier to put in the rubber mat.  So for me no carpet in the front.  I don't think I will glue it down.

The door panels also get carpet along the bottom and I likewise cut the carpet, had the edges bound and am awaiting my wife to fix up the door panels.  The carpet I bought came in a 12 length and I bought 3 lineal feet.  I cut the carpet in half and used on half in the back floorboard.  The other half was enough to do the door panels and the piece across the back of the front seat and left just a little left over.

Kind of a long answer to a short question.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »
JoeKeys, You made a good choice not trying to use carpet designed for office use in the front of the car. I'm a carpet installer. Unless you glued it with the type of glue we use to install it, heating and bending would not make it stay in that form. In fact using the type of glue we use would still be difficult. That type of carpet has a very stiff backing and doesn't take well to bending into compound shapes.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
I worked for a carpet fiber manufacturer in product development. We made a collection of carpet in different styles to try to introduce our product into automobiles rather than the universally used low pile plush. I made a presentation to the GM design staff including George Moon, the styling manager for Cadillac. They were polite but we failed miserably. After the presentation Mr. Moon said, ”The purpose of automobile carpet was to cover up all the trash left on the floor pan by the assemblers”
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
Joe, 

Thank you for the very long answer to a short question. It was most helpful.

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:54 PM »
I learned some about carpet today. Had I put it in the front I would have glued it. But like was said it would have been difficult at best do the rubber may will do fine. The nap of the carpet looks good and since it is basically a mat on the back floorboard it will be easily replaced. I haven't put the seats back in so I'm not sure if the bolts for the front seat will go through the carpet. If so you would have to pull the seat to change it 

If auto carpet were available in the right color I would have carpeted up to the firewall.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 08:01:24 PM »
If you're going to put the bolts through the carpet to mount the seats, poke a hole through the carpet with something like an awl or cut a small slit in it with a razor blade. Don't try to drill through it. That style of carpet is made in continuous rows and the bit will catch it and pull an entire row out before you can even think about stopping the drill.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
The rear window gasket arrived today from Rudy Phillips. Very pleased with it!  I also got the carpet pieces that go along the bottom of the door panel back from having the edges being bound.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
I installed carpet for many years and for a time, we carried the right weight and pattern Wilton wool carpet used in KF cars like the hardtops. We also had the commercial level loop in the right grain and color for the rear floor and foot rests on the big Kaisers. I'm no longer in that business...and my knees thank me...but I do know the level loop is still available, even at places like Home Depot. What you're doing looks great and will certainly dress up the interior of the car.

And, Kory is correct, don't try to drill thru the carpet, you'll pull at least one row out of the backing and when that happens, the only fix is to replace the whole piece. A small slit with a sharp knife will be enough to get the seats installed.

Automobile carpet is formed in a press using heat and pressure. Trying to form fit carpet that was meant to lie flat won't end up looking good.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
Look'n real good Joe. I can't wait until the samples you sent arrive. I have been working on rebuilding my engine. I am looking forward to starting my interior. I hope to use lots of your success to get mine done.

Best,

Mark
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
Door panel starting to take shape.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
Here is the finished seat frame.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 08:21:49 AM »
Wow that looks real good. I am now rethinking how I will do my interior.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
Got the driver side rear door on. I was able to use the original clips. I have the door handle just haven't put it on.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
Looks great! Now I'm inspired to get to work on my Traveler!