Author Topic: Safety  (Read 1227 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Safety
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »
There seems to be a lot of new people in the club who are working on KF products for the
first time. I was removing a transmission and needed a socket and crawled out from under the
car to get it and heard a loud groan.  I turned around and watched the car ramp under a tire
collapse. Another time I got out from under a car to get something and heard a screech as
the weld on a jack stand holding up a rear wheel broke. Both times I had been under a car
just before this happened. The cars were not too heavy for the ramps or jack stands, so it
was a defect of some sort. I then began using wood blocks to support the car in the area
I am working on besides car ramps and jack stands. In over 51 years of car repair, I never had
A wood block collapse, so be careful. A car can kill you even if it is not on the road. Work safe.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Great reminder for everyone to stay safe.  I teach auto maintenance merit badge for Boy Scouts using my cars.  Safety is the number one thing I constantly repeat.  If there is anything those boys remember is safety.  Clear work glasses or goggles are very important as well. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »

Don't ever use ramps on dirt.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
However, it is fun tricking the Boy Scouts in thinking they broke off the studs from the drums.  Most have never seen bolts instead lug nuts.  :)
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
I lost a freiend and great neighbor this same way a number of years ago.  His wife went to bed and he went to the basment to work on his car (sound familiar?).  Wife woke up at 4 am and realized he wasn't in bed.  Found him crushed under his Porsche, stone cold dead.  Left 3 young girls in addition to wife.

I'm a safety professional as a career and have always liked this quote, "Every choice can change your world in an instant.  Safety is about choices."

Thanks for starting this thread, it can save someone's life.  Take the time, follow precautions and prevention...stay safe my friends.

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
I like your quote, think I will use it at work
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
i never trust jack stands i always use cribs for safety ,,i know every one gets lazy or tired and and sometime takes a short cut ,but thats the one time it gets ya,,,i just had my pinky finger cut off helping a friend swapping truck cabs i had a pair of meta miner gloves but i didnt put them on ,,every one else had gloves then one guy said lets put some boards down in case it falls but everyone was in a hurry and it slipped and my finger was under the cab and between the frame ,,luckily they reattached it..but its so easy to get hurt,,be safe guys...
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.