Author Topic: Prototype Convertible  (Read 3979 times)

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prototype Convertible
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:08:41 AM »
I leave this one up to Rick Kamen as I have only limited info on Willys branded product. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:38 AM »
This car was at the 2012 national in TN. I had the privilege of also seeing the car about 20 years ago when Paul Brimm, a noted Willys collector, owned it. At the time Paul owned it, the unibody was rusty...enough so that I didn't try to open the doors fearing the car would fold in half. The restorer confirmed my fears and told me he had to do extensive replacement work to get the car in it's current condition.

Paul had period photos of the car and what you see today compares favorably to what it looked like back when Derham delivered it. When I saw the car years ago, it was white but that could have been a repaint.

Rick and I spoke at length with the owner who was glad to run into folks who knew its history. I see the auction was ended early, I hope it sold for more than the top bid...I'm sure the seller had much more in the restoration than that.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »
Thanks for a little history....I'm sure in its current condition it would be fun to drive.To me, it seems to have some Packard lines among others. Would like to see what it looks like with the top up as well.
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
I read where the design for the Aero was pulled from the 1949 Ford. Put the two side by side and there is a resemblance.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
The design of the Aero was actually worked up c.1947 by Clyde Paton who was a senior engineer at Packard.  Paton did the design on his own time with the hopes of selling it to a car company like Howard Darrin sold the Clipper body platform to Packard before World War II.  Like many cars of today, there is only one "most efficient" shape for an automobile platform...least wind resistance, most interior room, etc.  This gets tempered with a look that is not too "Buck Rogers" to use the 1940's term for something over the top.  Volvo in Sweeden worked on a new car platform on its own, and came up with a shape that Kaiser-Frazer put into production first as the 1951 Kaiser.

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
I have often described my Aero as a shrunken 49 Ford with Cadillac tail lights :)
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:44:24 PM »
This convertible was a factory prototype. It started life as a 1953 Aero Eagle hardtop and was shipped to Derham in Rosemont, PA where it was customized into a convertible. I believe the 1955 grille and hood were added later and, although I do not know for sure, I believe this was done just before the Kaisers invaded Willys-Overland (but please DO NOT QUOTE ME on that because I have no proof, only a hunch.) It was sold or given by the factory, as I remember a conversation with Paul Brim in the early 1980's, to Tom Poole, who was in R & D at W-O at the time. Paul Brim owned it after that and I believe he bought a rough car from Toole. It was stored outside on Brim's property in Bowling Green, Ohio for at least 20 years and deteriorated even more. Paul sold it to Ron Kleber, a psychiatrist in Marietta GA but Ron failed to pick it up for many years. Ron finally got it sometime in the 1990's (after some sort of law suit against Brim) and stored it indoors for the first time in about 30 years. There it sat for several more years until it was sold upon Ron's death to the current owner who spent a lot of time and money on the car. Lew Retzer talked him into bringing it to the 2012 Sweetwater, TN National and it was quite a hit. All the Derham photos of the car (as well as when I saw it a Kleber's) showed it to be a white car. The Blue color was the current owner's choice. And yes, the dash is pretty much factory.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 06:47:15 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »
Are those the same front bumper guards as the 51 Kaiser?
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »
Thanks for all the info. Any idea what was done to stiffen up the structure ?
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
Yes, the bumper guards are the same.

Extra bracing was added to the lower pan to lessen body flex when the doors were open. There was extra added to the front subframe.

CQNRQY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
I don't recognize the tail lights...
Does anyone know what they are from?

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
I don't recognize the tail lights...
Does anyone know what they are from?
actually the taillights remind me of the center lenses of a 1961 Facel Vega FV500