Author Topic: New Willys Wagons Website...  (Read 3359 times)

oldwillyswagons

• View Profile
    • Old Willys Wagons and Trucks
    • Email
New Willys Wagons Website...
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:45:38 PM »
I just launched a new forum and discussion board dedicated to Willys Wagons. 

http://www.oldwillyswagons.com

I've been looking for a dedicated Wagon site for years, and finally decided to put it together myself.  Check it out when you have a few minutes.

Trying to put the word out...

Thanks

Pete Anderson
oldwillyswagons.com

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Willys Wagons Website...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:57 PM »
Nice to hear of a Willys SW website. I notice ALL the initial activity is 4WD. There were a lot of 2WD SW and Panels made, but their survival rate is a lot lower for several reasons. I always viewed the 2WD station wagons as being like a Model A woody wagon except there isn't any wood problems when you restore them.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

oldwillyswagons

• View Profile
    • Old Willys Wagons and Trucks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »
Nice to hear of a Willys SW website. I notice ALL the initial activity is 4WD. There were a lot of 2WD SW and Panels made, but their survival rate is a lot lower for several reasons. I always viewed the 2WD station wagons as being like a Model A woody wagon except there isn't any wood problems when you restore them.

The membership is building, but still mostly 4wd.  Hopefully the 2wd guys will find the site too. 

Also, the forum is now also for the Willys pickup.  Since they share so much, it made sense to include them. 

www.oldwillystrucks.com

Pete

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
In 1971 I bought a 47 Willys panel truck that was about 2 miles from my house. The 134 had seized up a number of years prior to this. I put a Chevy 283 with Powerglide in it. I think this was a relatively outstanding accomplishment BECAUSE I did it using only a hacksaw and a hand held electric drill. I couldn't do much than drive it around the house because the last title issued was 1959 - at least 3 other people had licensed the vehicle after that without transfering the title. Well, it had the transverse leaf spring IFS and the bushings were bad. The wheel cylinders were all seized up. I traded it off and not long after that I started turning up sources for parts.

Hey, I even had a 194 Pontiac 4 (1/2 of a 389 V8) in it, but I couldn't figure out a workable transmission.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:54:56 PM »
When I went to the HOA Meet that Larry Hinrichs hosted in Liberty, Mo (outskirts ot KC), he told me that when he arrived in KC, he drove there in a Willys 2WD SW with a  283 Chevy. After a while, he hired on at the Ford Plant. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
The initial post is over eight years old. The website linked is no longer active...

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
The web address does not work. 

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »
The whole thread should be deleted to clean up the forum
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
Regarding the thread: 2 of the URLs links are now defunct; 1 has nothing to do with vehicles-therefore no longer helpful or useful to new or old members. It provides no potential assistance to parts seekers, DIYers, tips, or current sources ..So would be a benefit to delete for house cleaning purposes alone. I can't tell you how many dead threads/inactive links there are in forums...Again, totally up to the admins, but wouldn't hurt to have someone clean those or Archive them(if the platform allows)...Keep it Simple and helpful! My humble $.02

The Purpose of the forum at the top states: Join the KF Club Forum to find answers to your questions and help others answer theirs!...of which this thread no longer can provide ???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:51:33 AM by njpatera »
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
I agree to delete on a case by case basis but it is not practical to ask the administrator to clean up on his spare time.  That would take a long time.

It is aggravating. Jake should just start a new thread on Hinrichs rather than bring this one back up.  I am active on the AACA website and we see it everyday.  Some newbie searches for their favorite car on Google and a 10 year old thread from the AACA pops up and the guy with 1 post says "do you still have these parts?" 

But it would be nearly impossible for the AACA administrators to police the forum and if they restrict access or motivations, then they feel it might drive away one or two possible new members, so they leave it more wide open to content. 

I did read with interest without checking the dates - of the 1st post in this thread.  I got excited!  I spotted a Willys Wagon about a year ago locally, full on project and expressed interest, made an offer and was declined.

Interestingly, the seller, whether honest or just selling moxie - said he had several better offers! 

So there is interest in the 50's and 60's Willys SW's and pick ups and I am surprised the forum that guy created crashed.  Too bad and too bad we don't know the reason why.   I am not sure how much websites cost to keep up.  $100 a year?  Who do you pay?  Someone has to create a good "look" but after that??   The KFOCI forums have not changed in appearance for as long as I have been coming - they look fine to me - but I am just saying once a forum or website is up, if a person is passionate about the subject matter - than it should not be too difficult to keep going. 

The AACA has done a great job in having sub forums for many makes and special interests including KF.  But if you go to the KF section, there is little to no activity. 

Sometimes I get excited about a car I find, I go to Google it, find a forum and get excited only to find minimal activity. I mean like you open up the Parts for Sale section and see 100 entries over 7 years !!  Yikes. No sense in registering and so on. 
No old cars owned.

njpatera

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
@ Roadmaster...Exactly! totally agree! I'd be willing to assist in clean up duty (housecleaning) threads and long ago SOLD items:-) I run our school SIS for way too many years and teachers ont always remove antiquated data :-/....but, there would need to be a clear guideline to follow and not just subjective to the individual doing so...unless subjective is the protocol:-) This Forum has been extremely helpful to me, I'd just like to see it remain that way for others as well without the fluff to sort through 8)
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon

Member #5954

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
We as members get great benefits out of the forum in information on our cars, information on activities and information on the availability of parts but it should not be used for personal messages between members.  That is what our emails are for and everyone's email is included in the members information.  We as members also have the ability to go through our own entries and delete items that may have been available at one time or messages regarding upcoming activities that are long past and of no value to anyone any more.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »

I agree to delete on a case by case basis but it is not practical to ask the administrator to clean up on his spare time.  That would take a long time.

Yes, not practical at all, especially considering that Oct '09 posts in the "General Discussion" category are 90 pages back......... at 17 posts per page. That would be thousands of posts to open, read and edit for every category on the forum.

Having first hand experience similar to this thread, I now look at the last few posts and who started the thread before adding a comment.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
I know I am a relative "newbie" on this forum. I haven't posted very much or very often, but I do visit this site almost daily.
As for me I have researched many topics on the this site and I have found information useful to me from some rather old sites.
Removing information just because it is deemed old would be a mistake in my humble opinion.