Author Topic: RUDY PHILLIPS CRUSHES KAISERS  (Read 29853 times)

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RUDY PHILLIPS CRUSHES KAISERS
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »
I know storing and trying to dispose of extra/ leftover parts is a pain. Years after I finished my 57 chevy wagon I sold parts for 10c on the dollar just to have someone use them. I gave stuff away, just sent some to a felow in CA. When it looked like I would have to keep  storing doors etc I loaded up an 84 car and my truck with stuff and took it all to the scrapyard.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 08:36:50 AM »
I called Rudy yesterday to order gaskets for the doors on my Kaiser.  He was very friendly and we spoke on the subject of Kaisers for about an hour.  No mention of crushing Kaisers came up and he seemed to know a lot about them.  Having talked to him on the phone and reading these posts seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

At any rate he had the gaskets for $100 (included all four doors) and if they were as good as the rear window gasket I got from him I'll be well pleased.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
I've been to Rudy's place in Ramona and he doesn't have alot of space to store cars...especially those needing serious resurrection. So, the fact that he's forced to occasionally recycle one or two cars doesn't surprise me. He recently constructed a large addition to his shop that's allowed him to store more parts, which is a good thing for all of us looking for that rare odd or end!

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 11:41:18 AM »
He has 1 or 2 cargo containers as well at his Dad's place in the same area, so he has more then shows.  He is just someone that you need to be patient with in trying to contact.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
I was blessed to have Rudy stop by my home last summer on his way to the National meet and pick up some previously purchased Virginian parts.   He is a great hobbyist and I enjoyed our visit.   

Last month there was a big to do about a long time salvage yard in Montana crushing rare Mopar parts. A lot of hobbyists felt this was horrific. I suspect Rudy might crush some grocery getter slab siders, but I doubt he would crush Virginians.

But the point is, this is America and we pride ourselves on our personal property rights and privileges. My tune has changed over the years from "must save every car" to realizing that 1. there is still a surplus of old cars and 2. it's an individuals decision to crush or not.

I had to give away parts or send them to the dump (a nice radiator core for example) lots of trim was thrown away. I sent some parts to some folks and lost money on postage because the parts are heavy.

I tried to give away free literature or lost a lot of money on the literature. I personally think many in the KF crowd are cheapskates and that sounds harsh but it's not.  It's OK. Better then being into Mopar musclecars where you can't restore a Challenger or Cuda for less then $50,000 and the entry fee is $7000 for a pile of junk.

Rudy offered me a nice rust free 49 Manhattan when he visited for $1000. I turned him down because I was head deep into a different make then (Mercedes) but now of course I am clearing out again.  But a 49 Frazer Manhattan, solid non running project for $1000 is very fair money and the cost to restore a 49 Frazer or Kaiser has to be less in some respects then a 49 Cadillac, Buick, Chrysler etc. due to the simpler architecture behind the car. (i.e. Continental 6 vs V8's or such)

I posted and maybe Jake about those 49-50 Virginians in Colorado for sale for like $700 to $1500 or so.  Ridiculous low pricing for what they represent. 

As a member of many other clubs, the mantra that "clubs need to attract new younger members" is getting old. I agree with Jack that if I had a running driving KF, I would regularly attend multi make car shows.  That would help.

Consider also, that one of the reasons people do not restore a particular car is access to rare parts, fabrics, kits. I think KFOCI does a good job of being close knit in this regard and advising where to get parts and keeping SMS on the ball for fabrics.  It's a great club, even if many don't appreciate my market comments, I think there are a lot of great people in the club. 

Rudy's dilemma being a parts guy is demand. It's not there.  isn't part of it the homogenous nature of KF?  By that I mean KF did not necessarily have planned obsolescence.  The same motor more or less was made for years, same on the transmissions, etc.

How many of common parts do you need? 
No old cars owned.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
I have known Bob Drake who makes Early Ford V8 parts for many years and he told me that if it weren't for the street rodders he would be out of business.  Well, there aren't many Kaisers or Frazers being made into street rods and probably not a lot of them being restored either.  We are really lucky to have access to the parts that Rudy and others maintain for us.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
I spoke with Rudy again yesterday (he called me) and again enjoyed the conversation. I've ordered som door gaskets and he had a trim piece I needed. He seems a knowledgable guy who is easy to do business with. Is like to meet him one day.

I've built mid 60 Fords and they can be challenging to get parts for unless you are building a Mustang. I would say it is just about as hard to find a gas tank for a 63 Thunderbird as it is to find one for a Kaiser.

I had a family connection to KF so that is where my interest began. I met some folks in Mobile Alabama and they were real nice folks. One gave me a ride in a restored Traveler with over drive.

I wouldn't swap my 49 Kaiser for a Cadillac even though I'd like to have a Cadillac.  The cars are easy to work on, relatively inexpensive to work on and you get a lot of attention when driving one. The club and this forum add to that. Lots of folks with advice. I plan on a Frazer when I get done with the current project. 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
I spoke with Rudy again yesterday (he called me) and again enjoyed the conversation. I've ordered som door gaskets and he had a trim piece I needed. He seems a knowledgable guy who is easy to do business with. Is like to meet him one day.

I've built mid 60 Fords and they can be challenging to get parts for unless you are building a Mustang. I would say it is just about as hard to find a gas tank for a 63 Thunderbird as it is to find one for a Kaiser.

I had a family connection to KF so that is where my interest began. I met some folks in Mobile Alabama and they were real nice folks. One gave me a ride in a restored Traveler with over drive.

I wouldn't swap my 49 Kaiser for a Cadillac even though I'd like to have a Cadillac.  The cars are easy to work on, relatively inexpensive to work on and you get a lot of attention when driving one. The club and this forum add to that. Lots of folks with advice. I plan on a Frazer when I get done with the current project.

A fantastic post.  Your comments point out the best aspects of the club and is proof that if you give someone a ride in your old car, then they usually become hooked.    You point out that the cars are easy to work on, inexpensive to buy and own, you hit all the reasons.
No old cars owned.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »
I sure cannot fault Rudy, I have scrapped 9 restorable kaisers, I had brought them to my farm, advertized them for the cost of the gas it took to get them here. Most of the calls i got were from the midwest,and wanting me to help with the cost of them driving to California to get them, or asking for pictures, which were sent and the response was it would cost too much to come afere them. Right now i have a 54 Man, 53 Black over white Dragon and a 53 parts car. The floor in the Dragon HAS NO RUST , needs left 1/4 work and roof at area behind rear doors had power steering, I advertized it for $500.00 got ZIP response.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
Over the past 3 decades I have scrapped out I think 8 Aeros. Most were beyond saving due to crashes or rust but yielded some good parts, making the parts worth more than the whole. At least 3 of them were excellent shells, missing only engines and transmissions. One even had a reupholstered seats. Nobody wanted them and the parts were more valuable, so They got stripped out and junked. I am sorry they are gone, but not everything is worth restoring.
We all know that our favorite cars, for the most part, are not worth much or are even desirable to most of the old car world (yes, Darrins, convertibles are the exceptions). Save the good ones and the rare ones if possible, but let's stay realistic.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »
hey guys where is rudy located,,,and would he sell the kaiser for scrap price to a person.
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Rudy is located in Ramona, CA which is about a half hour east of San Diego. He probably has several cars for sale at any given time.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
Kaiser Bill in Utah and the Fred Walker estate in Colorado have about 100 cars each stored on their property and I know that Kaiser Bill has some cars that he would sell for $100 as I bought one of them and never bothered to pick it up.  I'm sure that it must have cost at least that much just to get it towed to his property when he purchased it.  There are plenty of inexpensive cars available but prepare to bring them home yourself on a car trailer.  That is part of the adventure.  I found my GP Frazer in Florida,  the '51 convertible in Iowa, my Airflow at Hershey, the '53 Manhattan in Fresno CA, the Allstate in Santa Barbara and I trailered them all home.  The trailer cost $1,000 new and it has certainly paid for itself many times over.  Rudy found a couple of early Frazer's for me several years ago and wouldn't take any finders fee at all.  That is what kind of guy he is!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:55:40 PM by Gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 07:10:58 PM »
It is about a days drive from Nebraska but you had better wait for spring to go now!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 12:04:34 AM »
Hey! I got a new toy just like it! Not only that, we apparently live in identical houses!
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.