Author Topic: Engine paint  (Read 3904 times)

jag52bkm

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine paint
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Need source for correct engine paint for 1952 Kaiser Manhattan.  Also is the transmission bell housing and base of the distributor painted the same?  Is the "Supersonic" highlighted?

Thanks.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Engine paint
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
The bell housing  and distributor base, along with the generator backets (both), as well as the accelerator bracket that's bolted to the head should be engine color. The green used on the 51-53 engines is a dark green with a hint of metallic in it. The green used on the 49-50 cars with the 2bbl carb is not the same, nor is John Deere green.

I've been told MG used a dark green on their engines that's to be very similar, but I can't guarantee that.

The Supersonic is not highlighted.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
Guys, i'm about to re-paint my engine as well, now mine is more like a light green i would say and i'm about to re-paint it the same color, is it right?
It is surely not a dark green and it's a 51 K Deluxe...  :-\

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »
If it's a 51, then the engine should be a dark green in color.

The posted picture is of a Darrin engine but the color would be the same for the 51K. The green on this one is very close to the original.

Many years ago a non-KF vendor was marketing the light green paint as correct for the 51-53 engines, so lots of restorers used it only to find out he was incorrect. From time to time, one of the light green engines shows up in a later model car.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
Here's what i got, might as well share this with other members... so what's not correct in this engine compartment vs original?

Hoping the picture attachment worked...

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »
Gary Micanek makes the correct green with aluminum powder.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:04:19 PM »
What sticks out:

1.  Oil filter is a type 1/2 (a replacement element filter as used on earlier year Kaisers and Frazers also is acceptable-see KFOCI HANDBOOK accessories section for 1951-52V Kaisers) but wrong color, lettering, etc.  Should be orange with the Fram decal which is available via the manufacturing fund.

2.  Plug wires are not correct; they did not have insulator boots on them and should be black in color.

3.  Radiator hoses were molded rubber & black; heater hose lines should also be black.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »
My engine in my 51 Kaiser Deluxe is dark green.  Former parts supplier John Parker sold back in the late 80's and early 90's the green engine paint.  I still have a old can of it. I am attaching a photo.   He purchased it from obsolete Ford parts and he relabeled the cans.  It is Same paint as 1927-1941 ford engines.  He ran out and I needed another can to finish my engine.  he sent me to go to Obsolete Ford Parts for a case of "ANTIQUE FORD ENGINE GREEN"  for him.  I am attaching a picture of the same can that he didn't have chance to relabel.  Now, John was a great guy. He purchased the cans at wholesale price, but he did not mark them up much to make a profit. He simply did it to provide us restores the correct engine paint.  I respected the man for his honesty and the help he gave me restoring my 51 Kaiser deluxe.  He is gone now, but the paint can be found.  Get on internet and find old ford place that has the paint. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
Thanks guys, all this shared info will be usefull for me, hope it will be of much help for Jag52bkm and others as well...

Bernie.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:01:38 PM »
Erma Walker is selling parts that John had, she had me list all the parts in the" Kaiser parts and sources catalog" that are available that she can lift, she is only 87# and in her 70's the list mostly is NOS

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Rudy Phillips took all of John Parker's inventory. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
I thought I'd chime in here for some clarification.  Joe Frazer points out
Many years ago a non-KF vendor was marketing the light green paint as correct for the 51-53 engines

That vendor was Hirsch and they touted it as correct for all KF engines, and as Joe points out, it is not. It would be correct for the 1949/50 cars only and some argue the 1951 Frazer (if anyone knows for sure, chime in).

The '47/'48 cars had gray engines, the '49/'50 had the light green, '51-'53 were the green that's been discussed on here and that Dave posted the info on (thanks by the way!)  The '54-'55 Kaisers had a dark maroon on the engine.

I believe Hirsch is still selling the light green as "KF" green so beware. There was  pretty nice Henry J four cylinder for sale recently which certainly had the Hirsch paint on it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:46:56 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
1951 Frazers should have dark green engines.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
Was the tranny originally painted green like the engine? (might have been said on another discussion, sorry i don't remember)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
Yes, the transmission and bell housing would be painted engine color.