Author Topic: 48' manhattan trim pieces  (Read 1421 times)

Datmungo

• View Profile
    • Email
48' manhattan trim pieces
« on: February 23, 2014, 07:34:40 PM »
Hello all, I'm having trouble locating tabs for the rear window moulding (about two inches below the window, which wraps around). All the other chrome is on the car (It was just painted) so I need help!

Also where would I go about finding a thermostat for the 226 straight 6? I haven't even tried looking but I do believe is will be hard to find.
Thanks in advance!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 48' manhattan trim pieces
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
Unless you are driving your car in cold weather, many have found thermostat not necessary in the 226 type vehicles.

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »
Not hard at all. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=124512&parttype=2136&a=Search%2Bfor%2BCatco&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=pa3p5rsqj0p61ugu3q3jq5o9g4

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
If those pictures are correct I don't think they will work.  My thermostat goes down into the block and does not have a lip on it.  I tired to install one that looked like those in the photographs (ie: the have a rim that rests on the head while the other half goes down into the block) but could not get it to seal properly.  That is because the housing I have does not have a groove made into it to accommodate the rim of the thermostat.  The thermostat that was in my car looked more like a barrel or a tube and slide completely into the head.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
The thermostat should not rest in the head. Instead, it should fit up into the water neck and a filler ring, part nbr 200161,  is then inserted below it to keep the thermostat in place in the water neck. The thermostat's lowest point would the be almost flush with the bottom of the water neck. If the thermostat is installed in the head, it will open too soon and not give satisfactory performance.