Author Topic: Electric Wiper motor 52 Aero  (Read 1014 times)

jagarra

• View Profile
    • Email
Electric Wiper motor 52 Aero
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has successfully converted their vacuum wiper set up to a motorized version.  I have seen commercial companies making conversion set ups, but Willys was not listed. I did buy a higher current 6v to 12v system a few years back so a 12v motor could work. 
52 Willys Aero Ace, 62 GMC, 66 Jaguar 3.8S, 
76 Jaguar XJ6Coupe

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric Wiper motor 52 Aero
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
Can't speak to a conversion, but if you already have a 12v system then the easiest thing MAY be to source a 12v Aero system from Brazil. I've stared at them more than a few times but am sticking with 6v, so it's vacuum for me. There's a guy on the Aero FB page parting out a 2600 in Brazil that I've bought parts from, he may still have the motor/transmission assembly & dash switch. I'd check wiper shaft spacing before I purchased.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jagarra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Mark, thanks,  I am a bit FB challenged, I did look but it didn't seem to find the right information.  My issue is that I had to convert to an 6V electric fuel pump because the lobe on the cam wasn't activating the 2 stage mechanical unit.  So driving in the rain, (which I do VERY rarely) is a real pain as the wipers stop when the gas is applied. 
I have a spare wiper assembly with all the arms and motor, i was hoping someone had discovered a unit that would bolt on to the existing parts to convert. 

I purchased a higher current 6 to 12v system so I could use a newer radio as this car never had one.  It was my Grandparents car from new, I only was allowed to ride in the back seat and those rear windows only rolled down half way. :(
76 Jaguar XJ6Coupe

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
My Aero came with a motor attached to my wipers.  I can't really see how it connects other than the homemade bracket on the outside.  It looks similar to old Willys Jeep wiper motors like this:

https://www.4wd.com/p/1953-Jeep-Willys-Omix-ADA-12-Volt-Wiper-Motor-Kit-19101.02/_/R-BKGF-19101.02?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjoDDy8uc2wIVRFgNCh29aAIKEAQYAiABEgKDBPD_BwE

It has an off/off switch that I was just going to leave on and then wire in a dash switch.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 02:50:53 PM by mpc »
Member# 16191

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
Mark, thanks,  I am a bit FB challenged, I did look but it didn't seem to find the right information.  My issue is that I had to convert to an 6V electric fuel pump because the lobe on the cam wasn't activating the 2 stage mechanical unit.  So driving in the rain, (which I do VERY rarely) is a real pain as the wipers stop when the gas is applied. 
I have a spare wiper assembly with all the arms and motor, i was hoping someone had discovered a unit that would bolt on to the existing parts to convert. 

I purchased a higher current 6 to 12v system so I could use a newer radio as this car never had one.  It was my Grandparents car from new, I only was allowed to ride in the back seat and those rear windows only rolled down half way. :(

That's pretty cool you have your Grandparents original Aero!
Kinda sounds like you bought a converter just for the radio? If so, it probably won't run much else.
The conversion MPC posted looks good.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

RT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
In my search for new parts to restore my Aero, I bought two fuel pumps.  One was a one-stage that just pumps fuel and the other was a two-stage that included a vacuum pump that you can connect to the wipers.  I expect to use the two-stage and keep the other just in case.  The two-stage might be what you could use to help the wipers from "fading" on acceleration without converting to electric.
My engine is the Hurricane "F-head 6".

RT
1953 Willys Aero Eagle
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1999 Replica Lamborghini  Diablo (Made it myself)
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
2014 GMC Denali crew cab
2008 Kubota B7800 tractor
2001 Damon Daybreak Motorhome

jagarra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »
Been away.  But if i remember correctly I had an issue with the original 2 stage pump, it failed and the replacement didn't work either in supplying fuel. That was back in the 70's when i got the car from my Grandfather.   I installed an electric fuel pump, now i have a rotary 6v unit mounted back by the tank with a canister fuel filter from Summit Racing.  Don't remember if i thought the cam lobe went flat or what, been such a long time.  Of course the mileage was low as it was only driven in town and my GP was "thrifty
I have made a bracket where the original pump was and installed a pressure regulator there, then a check valve right before the carburetor and she starts quickly. 

Still have to ponder what to do, I don't drive it in the rain.  Is there a good way to test the 2 stage pump to see if the vacuum portion is working? 

76 Jaguar XJ6Coupe

RT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »
jagarra...
The fuel pump and the vacuum pump are basically the same thing.  One sucks in fuel and pushes out fuel while the other sucks in air and pushes out air.  The Willys dual pump has a diaphragm for fuel and a diaphragm for vacuum.
You could use a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum pulled by the pump if you want to be specific or you could just put your finger over the port to see if it feels like it is sucking in the intake or pumping air out the exhaust port.  There are check valves to keep the flow in the right direction.
It is possible the diaphragm has a leak which would make the pump not work (in both cases for vacuum or fuel).
If you take the pump apart, you could see if that is the case.

RT
1953 Willys Aero Eagle
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1999 Replica Lamborghini  Diablo (Made it myself)
1988 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
2014 GMC Denali crew cab
2008 Kubota B7800 tractor
2001 Damon Daybreak Motorhome