Author Topic: Dealership not listed in handbook.  (Read 2821 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Dealership not listed in handbook.
« on: March 22, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
I know there was a thread recently about KF Dealerships and verifying them.  I was looking through some old scans on this cold (18 degree) day here when I happened across the original title for 1948 Frazer I purchased from the original owner in 1978.  I thought I had sent this one in but I don't see it on the latest list in the handbook.  I know there are certain criteria which have to be met to verify a KF dealer as authentic. I think this title meets the criteria but perhaps not.  Anyway, I've attached a scan of that original title. The 1948 Frazer F485 - 022406 was purchased new on June 16, 1948 at Nordstrom Motors in Tekamah, Nebraska.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:25:53 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dealership not listed in handbook.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:07:21 PM »
Thanks, Fid! 

The information you posted shows a date, dealer name and location (city and state).  The title itself is a good source for the report.  I need a good source (ad, dealer stamp on literature, copy of a title, etc  and good date (the sale of the 1948 was in 1948 so it's considered not a used car) for the entries to be valid...this avoids questions later on.

The entry is now the 7,046th in the listing of Kaiser-Frazer and Willys dealers in the USA and other nations (including Canada and American possessions at the time).  Of the 7,046 listings, this was also the 4,950th K-F dealer in the list.

Total number of dealer and/or distributor franchises issued by K-F, Willys-Overland, or through the Kaiser-Willys Sales Corporation I estimate to be between 10,000-15,000.  This includes new franchises because of name changes and/or moving to a different address so these kinds of changes can be tracked.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
Glad to contribute Jack. I thought I had sent this one in long ago but I guess I likely hadn't.  The thing I found most interesting about it was the typewriter strike over on misspelling of 'Tekamah' - quite a testament to those times I think. Tekamah is not too far from Oakland, NE where we got the car from the original owner. I had an uncle who lived in Tekamah for a while. I believe Tekamah is a Sioux word meaning "big cottonwoods."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:22:04 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »
Just an addendum about that title; MN issues their own titles of course but before that one was transferred into my name dad made a "Photostat" or "Xerox" as they were called back in 1978 at his place of work so we could retain a copy of what the original looked like. Photocopying was just coming into being common place at that time and there were not a lot places to where you could make one. He copied both sides on two separate sheets of paper (it's not uncommon to continue that practice today) and then stapled them together back to back, hence the four staples (one in each corner). I don't recall if I scanned the other side. I'll have to look for it and see.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

LittlePegasus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
The postcard at the flickr link below depicts an additional dealership.  It was owned by my friend's father, George Rice.  The location was the small town of Benzonia Michigan.  According to my friend, the dealership lasted a couple of years.  Of the buildings in the postcard, only the building with the curved roof remains, it is now the convenience store for the Mobil station (790 Michigan Ave, Benzonia, MI).   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30071080@N04/31966493476/

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
When trying to view this image it requires giving a lot of personal information to an unknown site.  Is there a way to just show the image?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

LittlePegasus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
When trying to view this image it requires giving a lot of personal information to an unknown site.  Is there a way to just show the image?

I (repeatedly, frustratingly) tried to attach the photo here, but I kept getting a blank screen after I clicked "post".
If you can't easily view it in FLICKER, can you see it in IMGUR without needing to create an account?

http://i.imgur.com/VftfIQN.jpg

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »
Thanks, that worked great and what a nice postcard.  I have been able to find only thirteen K-F dealership postcards and I'll have to try to find a copy of that one.  Benzonia only has a population today of about 2,000 people so it must have really been a small town seventy years ago.  Thanks for sharing that one!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom