Author Topic: Earthquakes  (Read 993 times)

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Earthquakes
« on: March 30, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
8 Pm pacific on Friday 3/28, we had a 3.6 Earthquake at 8 PM.  It was a precursor to 5.1 at 9PM.  No damage in the garage, a lot of stuff off shelves.  Cars not damaged in the first quake, but not taking any chances with the aftershocks, cars were both removed out of garage into driveway.  Luckily cars were already out before the bigger quake.  I think the cars woulda been okay, but glad they were out. 

House has broken stucco but no foundation damage.  Interior had some broken and cracked drywall at the joints.

All the local car collectors have gone into Earthquake mode, with all cars pulled out of garages for few days.  Last neighbor took  photos of the cars out in the driveways, and he sent this to me.  Think this was taken Saturday morning.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
Glad you're OK Dave. Thanks for letting us know. It was 59 degrees here so I went out to the shed and started all my Js up - too much mud to take them out and drive them. Maybe next week. I hope you can recover from the quake as easily as we are from the winter.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:26:32 PM »
One of our members, Randy Sargent, lives a few miles away from the mud slide here in Washington.  Fortunately he drove through the area one hour or so before it hit and was not affected.  His place is ok too.  His commute to work is now very long though as he has to take an alternate route to get there.  Glad everyone is ok!!  Stay safe, Dave!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »
It has now been over 48 hours, and we are still getting aftershocks.  I don't think my cars are going back in the garage for a while.  One neighbor says that his cars are staying out until we go at least 48 hours without a aftershock.  I have now moved my cars into the backyard and covered them. 

In my first post I didn't mention that the 51 Kaiser is literally stored in the attic of the garage by means of a 4 post car lift, whereas the Henry J and a 1958 Saillboat sit under the Kaiser on the ground.  During the first earthquake, the 51 Kaiser didn't budge being up in the air.  I had moved the cars out about 20 minutes befor ethe bigger quake hit.  However my neighbor has a lift too and his 39 Ford Street rod moved 5  inches towards the edge in the bigger quake.   I don't think the Kaiser wouldn't have moved as much due to the weight, but I never want to test it.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer