Author Topic: Another disappointment  (Read 861 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Another disappointment
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
I am not going after this car ,but I was about to say it looked like a good candidate with out "owner improvements". He posted new photos that reveled a 8 volt battery. I just looked at a J with an 8 volt battery. The voltage regulator had been jacked up to put out 8 volts alright, but it takes about 1,500 rpm for the generatot to do it and the increased idle makes for grinding gears going into first from neutral. The increased voltage makes the relays in the regulator sound like a machine gun going off inside the car.Unfortunately we do not just have to look at what a car need done, but also what needs undoing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-KAISER-HENRY-J-Corsair-deluxe-1953-henry-j-kaiser-gasser-original-classic-hot-rod-/331163232508?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d1adde8fc&item=331163232508&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another disappointment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
I don't understand why some feel it necessary to install an 8 volt battery. The 6 volt ones work just fine. I've driven these old cars 40 years now and never had a problem using a 6 volt battery. If the car has clean connections, and the correct 1 gauge battery cables, it works just fine.
I'd be interested in hearing what those who have done it have to say about it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

retired wrench

• View Profile
Re: Another disappointment
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »

Ive had customers install 8 volt batts,then you have to crank the charge rate up so the charging systems life is shortened dramatically.