Author Topic: Front seal  (Read 1167 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Front seal
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
On the 226 engine in the '51 Kaiser is there a front filler block and oil guard that has a rope seal
similar to the rear seals? I do not see the guard in the Shop Manual engine diagram. I have the
pan off and can't seem to get to the bolts to remove the filler block. The Shop Manual says the
pan seal can be installed on the front filler block, but does not mention the front seals for the
crankshaft.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front seal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
The front seal is pressed into the timing chain cover as I recall. Is round with a neoprene element. Much easier to get at than the rear. Don't recall that these have much of a tendency to leak.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »
The problem is that I have to loosen the front filler block in order to get the pan gasket out
and the new one in. The old gasket goes under the front and rear filler blocks for a half inch
or so.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
the front filler block has (1) one bolt that goes thru from the timing chain cover into the filler block then you can lower or remove the filler block to install the pan gasket. I understand you have loostened the upper and lower radiator hoses and placed piece of 2x4 wood under both front motor mounts to aid in doing your job

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:19:29 PM »
Well, After rotating the crankshaft CW by turning the !" nut below the fan, I was able to get at
the two bolts in the filler block. Then after finding out the filler block was still firmly mounted,
I removed the lowest 3 bolts on the timing chain cover and after a little prying it popped off.
There is a gasket behind the filler block and somewhere over the years someone glued the
filler block to the gasket. It does make it easier to reinsert the two bolts if the filler block is
glued in place. A putty knife popped it loose. Make sure to align everything by starting all 5
bolts and then tighten when reinstalling. I did this with the car sitting on 4 car ramps and
two jack stands for safety.