Author Topic: OD question - another one  (Read 1865 times)

jamestyler520

• 1948 Frazer Manhattan
    • View Profile
    • Email
OD question - another one
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
My OD has not worked for a while but when I had a tranny replaced I think something happened to get it to engage again. (The Tranny got stuck between gears and could not be released by manually moving the linkage.) The car would run again the OD could be engaged but when the car came to a stop the the OD would not disengage. The car had to be shut off and then the OD would disengage and then the car could shift gears including going in reverse.

To get by this problem while we were waiting on a switch both wires to the switch were put on the same terminal and the car ran ok. I just never put it into OD.

A new Rail switch put in and the same problem is present where OD will not disengage once the car comes to a stop. The battery is new. I have not had the relay contacts checked. 

Just seeking suggestions and options to consider or eliminate.

JT
JT Tyler
1948 Frazer Manhattan

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OD question - another one
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »
If your O.D. is engaged while sitting still ,your trouble is with the govener or a short in its feed line
You might want to also try this pull out your O D knob ,accelerate to 35 mph in 2nd gear,coast to a stop in 2nd gear without putting in the clutch until the last minute. If it binds, you have worn syncros or shifter linkage..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:12:03 AM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
I might suggest you watch this KF Service Video on the Overdrive.
http://circlekf.com/kflit/FS/kffs4812/kffs4812.wmv
Your questions may be answered.
Hope this helps.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
If the overdrive does not disengage, then the solenoid is being energized when it shouldn't be. This is most likely caused by a sticking relay. The rail switch only serves to prevent the OD from engaging when the car is in reverse - it would not produce this symptom.  The governor switch could be stuck as Corsair Deluxe suggests but if it were, then you could get into OD in first gear and it would energize immediately when the ignition switch is turned on. My bet is the relay sticks after it's energized. That's what it was when I had this symptom. You may be able to open the relay and look at the contacts and see.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios