Author Topic: Original Documentation  (Read 1788 times)

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Original Documentation
« on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:37 AM »
As a new owner of a 1951 Henry J Deluxe, I was wondering if there's any way to search for any of the original documents like the Bill Of Sale or other???

No old information of any kind was received when purchased.

Thanks in advance, Reggie

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Original Documentation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
Unlike the big three, KF has no historical archives that tie a VIN to sales documentation. We do, however know how a car was originally equipped based upon the firewall mounted trim tag. With that info, we can back into a car's MSRP with a fair degree of accuracy. As to the original selling dealer, there's very little info available..and any we have came from dealer paperwork that was saved from the rubbish pile.

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Original Documentation
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Many thanks Joe.....

Where exactly do I go to get the accessory/as built information when I have the plate data??

Thanks again, Reggie

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
The Club publishes a Hand Book which is now on CD with that data in it.  The data plates tell you the original color of the car they were originally attached to, as well as the delivery region, whether it had a radio or not, the accessory group (optional equipment) that it came with, and a few other things.  It can also tell you how far into the model year yours was assembled.  In the case of my car, it tells me it was assembled in the K-F assembly factory in Long Beach, California.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
The data tag has a column on it called "AG" which stands or Accessory Group. The '51 Henry J, being a cost-cutter, probably had the largest number of Accessory Groups available.  Radios, signal lights and heaters were not part of an AG for the 1951 Henry J, they were dealer installed options.  Items that were part of an AG are full wheel covers, bumper guards, vacuum boosted fuel pump, opening wing vent windows, horn ring, passenger side sun visor, trunk lid, fold down rear seat (for those cars which had a trunk lid), cigar lighter, door arm rests and a second horn. Contrary to rumor/legend, glove compartments were not part of an AG and were never optional on the Henry J. The 1951 Henry J and those '51s which were retagged as '52 Vagabonds did not have a glove compartment. All others did.
If your car is a '51  six cylinder without a trunk lid, it's AG 8.  Otherwise, it could be AG 10, 17, 18, 19, 21 and maybe some others.
If you're a club member the Handbook has all the info, but that's the basics.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:09:11 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
You should have received a copy of KFOCI HANDBOOK when you joined; if you joined prior to October 2014 you should have received Version 4.0 and with the November 2013 bulletin (if you get print) and the KFOCI Club Roster you should have received Version 5.0 or if you joined after that you should have received 5.0 (first update to 4.0 with a lot more info than the original release).

ReggieFoote

• View Profile
    • Email
Original Documentation
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
Boy, do I feel stupid...Being in my 70's hasn't improved my functions. Starting to lose it!!

Anyway, I just went over the DVD you provided. When I first tried it, it just brought up photos, so I thought that was all until your posting. Can't get over how much information there is on the DVD.

Appreciate your bringing full attention to this Newbie. Will try and keep all my problems and questions down to a low roar. One thing for sure, the Forum really works!!!

Reggie

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
On the contrary, we welcome any and all questions! Folks learn by asking and those who answer sometimes learn something new as well.