Author Topic: Wanted--Opinions on new Henry J replacement parts  (Read 2425 times)

Hookedat17

• View Profile
Wanted--Opinions on new Henry J replacement parts
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Hello everyone--I just purchased a very rough 51' Henry J with the intention of building a restomod (hope that's the right term). I'll probably have nothing but questions in the beginning, but hope to be offering opinions and/or advice after I get my feet wet in this journey.  For now I am looking for advice and opinions on new replacement body panels and window glass offered on ebay. I can live with having to modify some sheetmetal items as long as it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to make them myself. The window glass on ebay seems too good to be true (all glass except rear window) and I would not even attempt to modify it if it doesn't work right out of the box. Any and all opinions welcome and appreciated--Thanks in advance

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Wanted--Opinions on new Henry J replacement parts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
With the exception of the back glass, all on a HJ is flat so any local shop should be able to make it up for you in your choice of tints. I have no experience with glass sold on ebay...I've always had local shops do my work at prices better than the mass market.

As for body panels, there are a few different sellers offering things like patch and full rocker panels for the Js. Reading opinions in older posts, some restorers found them a good fit, while others did not. I guess it depends upon your level of expertise. As they say, a big enough hammer will make anything fit!

Fortunately, the floors and rocker panels on HJs are of simple construction so repairing them is not difficult.

Our club also has vendors who offer various bits and pieces for a J. If you're not a member consider joining. The monthly newsletter contains a classified section with alot to offer.

http://www.kfclubmembership.com/

Vagabond Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
Hello everyone--I just purchased a very rough 51' Henry J.  For now I am looking for advice and opinions on new replacement body panels and window glass offered on ebay. I can live with having to modify some sheetmetal items as long as it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to make them myself. The window glass on ebay seems too good to be true (all glass except rear window) and I would not even attempt to modify it if it doesn't work right out of the box. Any and all opinions welcome and appreciated--Thanks in advance

Kaiser Bill used to make  reproduction rocker panels for the Henry J.  Don't know if he's still in business.  See:

http://kaiserbill.com/Notices/index.html

Most all Henry J's suffered leaky windshields and resulted in floor rust.  The front and rear floor sections available on eBay look nothing like the original floors.  The eBay repro rockers might be OK, for it would be difficult to "roll your own.''

Fortunately, the floors are flat and probably not too much trouble to fabricate out of 20 gauge sheet metal.  Here's a restoration of a rusted Henry J including modern drive train update and floor replacement (Very Interesting):

http://canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8646&page=6

Enjoy you "new" old Henry J.

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
I had most of the side glass in my 54 manhattan done at a local shop.  It was       f a       i rly inexpensive, and the tint matched perfectly.  The even did the vent windows in the rear.  No shipping costs either!  GoodLuck.
BBarry