Author Topic: This Makes It Four  (Read 1675 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
This Makes It Four
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
My 54 Manhattan has now gone thru four engines. To it's credit, the odometer has somewhere around 315K on it...but I figured the latest engine would last longer than 15 minutes. I bought the engine sight unseen...my mistake...but it did run. Unfortunately, I soon noticed that the oil seemed to be increasing in volume and the coolant was decreasing by the same amount. So, I pulled the head and there it is...a crack at the exhaust valve in cylinder number four.

If this were any other car than the one my dad owned since near new, I'd have long ago sent it packing. So...it looks like I might be looking for engine number five. The only decision...to go with another 226, or repower with something more modern...

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: This Makes It Four
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
I had a similar problem with my 55 the machine shop sent it to a foundry where they heated the engine to 1600 degrees and then welded the crack . The fix seems to have cured the trouble but it was not cheap I only went thru three engines . I now have almost 2000 miles on it and am happy with the way it preforms

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: This Makes It Four
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
Besides being not original what does the wrong motor in the car do to value?  Is there a motor that fits well like a 350 Chevy or a 302 Ford?
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan