Author Topic: Darrin for sale? Advice? Car 423  (Read 6502 times)

mikegrommet

• View Profile
Darrin for sale? Advice? Car 423
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
Hello Darrin folks,  (also posted in "cars for sale" thread
I'm hoping I can get some advice from you Kaiser folks.  I am the owner of Darrin number 423.  My father bought the car brand new in 1955 and was very proud of his baby.  I can remember as a child, huddled in the footwell of the passenger area trying to stay warm while we drove around.  I can remember Dad "decorating" the car at Christmas time, parking it on the front lawn as Santa's sleigh. 

It is with mixed emotions that I'm considering selling the car.  When my dad passed, I inherited the car.  He had been ill for a few years and the car sat in the garage.  (he never let me drive it, I don't blame him).   When I got the car, the brakes were not functioning well so I had them serviced by a guy that restores Darrins.   Since then, I have driven the car intermittently. 

The car is all original.  It has never been painted or modified to my knowledge.    The top is there and it appears that all the trim pieces are there.  Dad always had trouble with the doors and they are pretty much stuck closed.  It has the wire wheels.   Its yellow.  The body and paint is "checked" out, typical of old fiberglass vehicles.  It runs. 

Why am I selling?  I am not doing this car justice.  It has always been garaged and sits in my garage today.  I don't anticipate having the car redone appropriately due to the expense to do it right and I wouldn't do it half arsed.   It just doesn't seem right to have it sit in the garage for another 10 years until it goes to one of my boys..... where it will sit for another 20 years.   It will make my very sad to see it go but I thing Dad would approve based on my rationale. 

So, I'm coming here first to get some initial advice.   I'd much rather have it go to a "Kaiser guy" than some wealthy collector that will send his "representative" out to offer me an emotionless bottom dollar.   I don't need to sell it.  I don't need the money.  I would like to do what is right for the car.   I am not sure what it is worth which is why I'm coming to you folks.  While I'm not unrealistic on value, I wouldn't entertain low ball offers, I'd rather have it in my garage.  But,  I'd sell it for what its worth.    Ballpark..... what do you guys think I'm looking at in terms of value? 

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Mike Grom+et
916-747-8151 
camaselk@aol.com 

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin for sale? Advice? Car 423
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »
Mike,

I've always found Ebay to be a pretty good indicator of values of almost anything. The trick is to only look at completed auctions. A car with a Buy it Now of X dollars means nothing. The following Darrin is on Ebay now and ends in a couple of days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Kaiser-Darrin-1954-Kaiser-Darrin-white-with-red-interior-great-paint-Very-rare-same-/221466183602?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339069c7b2&item=221466183602&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Theoretically, when the auction ends, you could look at the selling price , deduct the costs of getting yours in the same condition and you would have a pretty good estimated value of your car.

NADA classic car price guide lists the Darrin as follows:

Low retail   Average     High retail

$47,800   $86,600   $126,000
   $47,800   $86,600   $126,000

To me, NADA values seem to be far above realistic values- but it's something to look at.

I Googled "Kaiser Darrin auction results" and this came up:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=1723&i=8

It's a chart that shows Darrin sales over a period of several years, with the lows and highs.

This rough Darrin was offered a few years ago for $24,500:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/11/17/40-years-stored-1954-kaiser-darrin-project/

I'm sure there are many on the forum with more Darrin experience than me who can give you an idea of the value. What they would need, though, would be a lot of photos of the car including engine, underside, closeups, etc. , and a more detailed description. You'll find it easy to find a "Kaiser Guy" to take this off your hands - for a car collector, a one family car, always garaged and untouched, is the stuff dreams are made of. You just have to decide if you are willing to go that route rather than consign it with a major auctioneer (R + M, Mecum, etc.) who can get top value for the car, minus his fee. It's likely then to go to the wealthy investor instead of the Kaiser guy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:05:24 PM by 51Deluxe »

darrin502

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi
I am a club member and have been since the 60's. I have 3 Darrins which have been restored. I just finished the 3rd one this month. I bought my 1st in 1961my 2nd in 1965 and the 3rd in 2007. I have other classic cars but I am not a seller. I buy them restore them and show them at as many car shows as I can.
As for the value of a Darrin it would depend on many things, condition, all parts being in tact, condition of windshield , chassis rust, just to name a few. The auction price has fallen lately due to the number of Darrins at auction.
It is very costly to restore a Darrin correctly and most of the Darrins at auction have been restored and that is why they bring the big bucks.
I would be interested in your car but would need more info and pics. Depending where you live I might be able to come to see the car and make you an offer.
You can contact me direct
520 591 8221
leeabrahams@cox.net
Hope we can get together
Lee abrahams
LM #1068
1954 Darrin # 103
1954 Darrin #  60
1954 Darrin #  51
1954 Darrin #  91
1954 Darrin # 394
1954 Darrin # 193
1959 Corvette
1968 Corvette
1968 Mustang
1959 Austin Healy Bug Eye Sprite
2002 Limited Edition Camaro

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:13:47 PM »
I called Mike and arranged a visit to the Sacramento area when I was there for a meeting this past week.  Since this an original car that has been in the family since purchased new and my Darrin is going for a restoration this January, I wanted to see what might be different.   I have included some pictures.

First, the over all car from the front and back.

1. Door Bracket?   I remember seeing this on other Darrins and mine does not have them.   Can someone tell me more about this particular piece of interior and if any are possibly available?

2.  The Engine Compartment.   I took this for the decal location.   I also noticed the head was painted Black and the rest of the engine was green.   I didn't ask Mike if there was any work done on the head, so I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be or the result of a shop.

3.  The Spare Tire holder.   I will probably have to make one of these from bar stock, as I don't think these are readily available!!!

4.  My Darrin is going to the restoration shop this January.   It needs it quite badly, even though it looks presentable.
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
What I can tell you:

The cylinder head should be green.
The decals on the oil filter and valve cover are correct and in the right places.
The spare tire holder is unique to the Darrin so if yours is missing, you'll probably have to have one made.
I do not recognize the small trim piece on the door. I once owned car #30 and it did not have that piece present. Since it's fastened to the door with screws I'd have to guess it's not part of the upholstered door trim and would carry its own part number. Knowing this, I checked the parts book and didn't see any mention of this piece. Hopefully owners of later cars will chime in with their thoughts.

I miss my Darrin...

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
The door pieces are on my Darrin 357 and have been there since new as near as I know. I've owned mine since 1968 and the car was sold new by our dealership in1954. The two extra screws look added. Actually the upholstery crews are wrong on the door. The quarter screws look correct as well as the fastener on the quarter upholstery.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:21:25 PM by DTort96646 »

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
After a closer look at your bracket picture and the one I sent,  yours looks deeper and the door handle is mounted to the hole.   In the picture I sent, the bracket is very shallow and the door handle is not mounted to it, on either door and both door handles are on the car.   This is getting stranger and stranger!   Could it just be on later models???

Also, this Darrin is for sale!!   I already have mine, do you have yours???   Just contact Mike Grom(see first message).
54 Darrin # 81

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Yes, Darrin #423 is for sale, he is not sure what it is worth in this original condition but he won't just give the car away.   It does run although the battery was dead when I was there.   I would suggest that only serious buyers contact Mike.

I have attached a picture from under my darrin's hood.   Mikes fuel line was modified.

I have another picture of both door brackets.   I don't have either and would like both.   I fear that I will have to make both.   I do like the picture of the bracket out of a book.   Can anyone else shed some more light on this???   
54 Darrin # 81

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
Phil, in the exploded parts diagram above, what part(s) are you looking for? I have some door gut parts and may be able to lend them as patterns...provided I have what you need.

I also have an original fuel and oil filter line assembly that you can use as a pattern for your car. Not sure how I'd ship it however!

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:38:03 PM »
I need the end door plate in the previous post picture,  I am not sure but I think it is #32 Cover Lock-Rear.   It is hard to tell from the manual picture on pages 62 and 63.   

As for the other part, there seems to be two parts, the one in the manual, # 41 Remote control Bracket (which is deep and the door handle shaft goes through it) and the one on Mike's Darrin which is quite shallow and the Door handle does not go through it and mounts to #32 COver lock- rear plate and is part of the interior?   One of the pictures from Jake shows the door handle shaft, Mikes car (the picture I initially sent) do not, that is why I believe there are two brackets.  These two pieces are what I need to make a pattern

I don't believe I need to fuel and/or oil filter lines, these seem ok and look like they are probably original, but thanks for the offer.
54 Darrin # 81

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
Here's what I have. I do not have any of the small parts that attach to it. Your car may not have the arm that is welded to this one. I think it might have been eliminated in later production. I have both a left and right if you need them as patterns.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
Other side...

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
WHy do your parts look so much different to the parts pictured???    As I have said before, I have never seen these brackets on any other Darrin I have seen.   THe brackets you have shown support the door handle and its hardware.   These brackets, pictured, are chrome plated and look to be part of the interior and do not have the handle going through the center hole because it is a shallow bracket.  Very strange.   

Could some of the club members who judge these cars help with this????   
54 Darrin # 81

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »
Yes, mine are inner door parts. You're after trim pieces, and as I mentioned earlier were not used on every car. I know car #30 doesn't have them.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »
Does anyone out there know about these trim pieces??  When they were used??

54 Darrin # 81