Author Topic: Distributor replacement  (Read 1549 times)

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
Distributor replacement
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:56 PM »
After chasing a persistent exhaust backfire a idle for sometime, todays diagnosis indicated excessive play/looseness in the distributor shaft.The shop manual is a bit vague on distributor replacement.  In addition, the parts book illustration shows the oil pump shaft to the cam, then some unknown, unnamed shaft then going up to the distributor.  My question is twofold: what is this mystery shaft and is it a major component necessary with the distributor replacement., and is there a specific sequence one needs to follow to replace the distributor assy.  Again the shop manual just stated to 'remove distributor.'  I am just trying to line up information before proceeding with the distributor replacement.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Distributor replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
Removing the distributor on the 226 is a simple operation. Like the shop manual notes, there's an oil pump that has a tab on the top end of its shaft. That tab fits into a slotted adapter shaft that drops in from the top of the engine. The top of the adapter shaft is slotted and the bottom end of the distributor fits into that slot. The slot is offset so you cannot put the distributor on incorrectly.

To remove the distributor, remove the wire lead from the coil, the vacuum line to the advance, and the 9/16 bolt attaching the unit to the head. It's also easier if you remove the distributor cap, this way you can leave the wires intact and not have to worry about getting them back in place in the right order. Then, simply remove the distributor assembly as a whole. The adapter shaft may lift up as well, just wiggle it loose and drop it back in place exactly as it was. It does not need removed.

Distributor main shaft wear was and is still a problem with the distributors, both Autolite and Delco.

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
Thanks to all who responded so quickly.  Being a career auto parts professional (Ford) I am a bit concerned over the adapter shaft between the oil pump and distributor.  Should I be concerned over this shaft as it does not seem to appear in the parts book?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »
Nope, don't worry about it. They're a steel shaft and are definitely not the weak link in the chain.