Author Topic: My Latest Acquisition  (Read 37136 times)

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Latest Acquisition
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 06:25:21 AM »
The bows do have the numbers stamped on them near one end . I had to clean mine with a high speed wire brush to find the numbers but they were there . I had two number " 4 " but found out number 4 & 5 were interchangeable . I think the parts book points that fact out

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I just cleaned the ones for my Allstate and I have #1 #2 #3 #4 #4 #5. I sure hope that is all I need to get the headliner in.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
O.K. This got me curious . The parts book shows # 4 & 5 the same on a 6 bow set . # 5 is different from # 4 on a 5 bow set . Jim , yours should be a 6 bow set being a 54 with trunk lid .

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
I know I have more than six bows in the set that was wrapped up in the trunk, however, only three were still attached to the remains of the headliner. I've managed to find numbers on three of the bows but have yet to closely examine the others. All have alot of surface scale on them.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »
Congratulations, that is going to be a real beauty!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 06:35:44 AM »
Found this on youtube...an old HJ commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFVBHdtdns&feature=youtu.be

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
Got the headliner bows cleaned up and was able to ID each one. The numbers were a bit difficult to locate on a few of them, but all now have fresh paint and have been clearly numbered for reinstallation. Now to find the unobtainium...the clips that hold them in place. I need 12...I have two...so I'm a few short. I'll take as many as I can find, or a suitable substitute.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
My 54 HJ arrived without a drive shaft. I think I have an NOS unit, but I need someone to tell me if that's true. The drive shaft I have is about 61 1/2" long and 3 1/2" wide. It's wrapped in KF cardboard but is, of course, missing the part number.

Will this fit a J, and if so, is this for a standard or an OD transmission?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 06:00:10 PM »
Looks like HJ but if it's 61+ inches it has to be for a non-OD car. When I added OD to my '52, I took the drive shaft to a Clutch & U-Joint place to have it shortened. I remember measuring under there and it was 53 1/2" as I recall.  Don't take my word for it though, measure yours from coupler to coupler and see. If you give them that distance any machine shop or clutch/trans place should be able to make the length you need. The slip yoke on it will compensate for some range.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:09:47 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 04:27:18 PM »
On to the next problem...a fuel gauge sending unit. Mine is, of course, trash after sitting in a half tank of stale fuel for 20 years. Is there a modern crossover...or something that can be modified to work?

Also, a fellow KFer who's resurrecting an Allstate needs a fuel filler neck. Anyone have a spare?

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »
Most of the time the only thing wrong with the sending unit on a J is the brass float leaks. I've repaired a lot of them that had just leaky floats. You can usually find the hair line crack, open it larger, dump the fuel out and using an iron (not a torch!) solder it back shut. If it floats in a bowl of water you're good to go.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 08:11:28 PM »
Yeah, I saw the unit advertised but I'm trying to stick to my budget.

The unit that came out of my J is junk. The rheostat wiring disintegrated and the end of the arm rotted off. Sure must have been some strong fuel!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
Well, with the warm weather is a desire to get moving on my HJ project. I got the inner fenders cleaned and painted and have the engine degreased as well. I found a pint of green engine enamel that is the correct shade (some of the dark green stuff that Gary Michanek had produced) and I'm going to take it to my local SW guy in hopes he can match it. If so is there any interest from anyone out there in some? I may have some spray cans made as well.

My car arrived with assorted bits sitting where the engine should be. I cleaned everything out and realized there are no fuel or brake lines in place. The brake line junction block was included but isn't mounted. Can someone out there in HJ land take a picture of the block in place? I know it mounts to the frame next to the body mount on the driver's side but I do not know its orientation. I have what amounts to a 2500 lb jigsaw puzzle...with no picture for reference!

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
I can send you some picture of e block. I still have my body off my HJ. I also would be interested I the paint.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe