Author Topic: Darrin gas tanks  (Read 2958 times)

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Darrin gas tanks
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
Well boys and girls, the plain simple fact is early fiberglass was resin poor in places. The finished surfaces were coated with hard body filler type epoxy. The underneath would allow sand, water and any road debris to collect and eventually would and did blister paint and destroy the top coating. The top coating would also crack and craze. Early fiberglass was horrible. I spent a lot of time and effort on my Darrin body to make sure it stayed as pristine as possible in any driving condition. I recoated the underside of all my fiberglass panels and I also undercoated the complete body. I had several conversations with Ellis Rhodes way back when, and he was adamant  about undercoating the body. I drive and enjoy my Darrin as I'm sure a lot of you do too. I have been caught in the rain not by choice but I am so glad I took all the steps to prevent any damage. Just my two cents of advise.

pjkaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »
Just received my cans of Tank Tone to "replicate"  OEM appearance of my new gas tank.  Looking forward to "Painting" my gas tank.   All of the non-chrome parts have been tumbled and Zinc plated, looking great.   The underside of my Darrin has had three layers of fiberglass to reinforce the body.  It has been primered, painted and clear-coated with no regrets.    Even the interior passenger compartment and full trunk have been painted as was the underside of the dash.  I didn't want any exposed fiberglass!!!
54 Darrin # 81
53 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe
51 Custom Henry J (Concept Car?)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
……………….. the reason for undercoating was two fold...to eliminate water wicking its way into the body and as Phil mentioned, causing the paint to bubble, and also to help reduce drumming - where the body would resonate at speed...…………

I read something somewhere about the Aero drumming, I think the rear quarters & doors. Doors skins had some sort of coating, & I think a bracket was added to the quarters.

Glasspar made boats long before they made car bodies and boats would be absorbing water all the  time that they were in it.  Were the boats treated with something to protect the boat from water damage? 

Glass boats stored in water were susceptible to blisters or "boat pox" until fairly recent years when a more impermeable gelcoat became available. Water passes through the gelcoat by osmosis and literally forms raised water filled blisters between the gelcoat & underlying fiberglass. Expensive to strip & replace, and the underlying glass must be allowed to dry before recoating.

It has been primered, painted and clear-coated with no regrets. ………………………….

I agree wholeheartedly. Almost every piece of my car has been cleared with one sheen or another, even NOS enamel parts. Just gives another layer of protection. Not according to Hoyle but after all the work, I could care less about that aspect.

Alternately, the painter was finishing up a 6 figure mustang when my body came in for paint. Correct in every possible detail, including "natural" metal parts certainly destined to rust sooner or later.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 01:57:54 AM »
I try to buy them off ebay. With my sons account it was blocked.. also..

So I did not spend the money on the tanks.. So I ask the wife how about three nights at Hotel del Coronado. in 2020 ..  I will post a picture.. in may 2020 ..

The tank were cheaper..  per night..

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:52:12 AM by jake »
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..