Poll

What should I offer to pay?

x
0 (0%)
x
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 07, 2009, 10:48:34 AM

Author Topic: Car buying  (Read 1502 times)

marioplumber

• View Profile
Car buying
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:48:34 AM »
I have found three cars at one location close to home. They are all rough. The first is the only one that I would say is remotely rebuildable. It is also the only one with a title. It is a 52 K 4 door that has a straight body with the usual rust above the rear wheels. The interior is rough and has significant rust in the floor. It has all the glass and most of the chrome. The motor will turn over but has a loud knock when trying to start. It has been sitting outside for years.
The second is a 52 K 2 door without front or rear glass, or hood. It has sat outside for years as well, so the floor boards are completely gone. Rough to say the least, and with no title. There are only a few pieces of trim left that are salvageable. I would say it is junk, but it is a 2 door.....
The third is a 54 K 4 door. The motor and trans are gone, rear center glass and floors are gone, the guy used a grinder to remove surface rust spots on nearly every body panel years ago and then did not paint the bare metal. It has been moved in and out of a barn periodically for years, but here in MO the moisture and humidity can really do some damage in time. There is not a lot of trim in good shape left either.
In all, it's just another case of neglect that is almost a crime to see happen to these cars. My question is, what price range should I be when I offer to buy these cars for parts or whatever in my rebuilding of the two 51 Kaisers that I have now? Thanksfor the help...  

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Car buying
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
I have noticed that the scrapers in my area are back up to $5/100 for steel. So that is $100/2000 lbs - delivered at the scraper! And when you consider fuel and labor (new minimum wage) and cutting the trees that have grown up around the cars (it always ends up being like that) it sounds like you should start off at $75.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170