Author Topic: lower control arm trunnion 1954 aero  (Read 3429 times)

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
lower control arm trunnion 1954 aero
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:44 PM »
Both of these trunnions are about ready to jump out of the car and i'm afraid to take it apart without parts to fix it , anyone have some experience with this problem and know of a fix ? seems no parts are available ? 

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: lower control arm trunnion 1954 aero
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
I just ordered lower trunnions, bolts & O-rings from rareparts.com this afternoon for my '54 AeroLark. Don't know if they'll be 0 caster or the earlier 2 1/2 degree caster. They don't have that in the specs they dug up for me but the photo looks like they might be the 0's. I'll post what they are when I get them next week.

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:22:35 AM »
I spoke with a woman at that same place with the trunnions and could not get specs from her. According to the parts books, there were probably 3 different trunnions available for the various Aeros: The ones mentioned above for the earlier 161 engine cars (1952-1953) and a larger one for the 226-engined cars (1954-1955). 1954 early special (re-serialed 1953 cars) would use the earlier ones.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:28 PM »
Received the new trunnions, seals & bolts today, the bolts are tapped for zerks, not included. They're definitely the early '52 2 1/2 degree type. They appear well made and the threads are nice & tight. See attached photo with the new trunnion on the left and a 0 degree '54 trunnion on the right. The tilt in the cross on the left is noticeable

I am curious about a couple things, maybe someone here knows the answers.

Any idea why the later trunnions were changed to 0 degrees?

Also, I have 2 shop manuals dated 1952, neither addresses the correct orientation for the "tilt" in the early trunnion. Obviously both need the "tilt" to be the same but which way?

On another note. I just finished disassembling 3 sets of front suspension components. All the lower trunnions were worn to varying degrees. The new bolts seem to tighten them up when they're in all the way, but I suspect that new bolts fitted into worn trunnion threads would be a temporary fix at best.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
Bob Zentmaier, another Aero guy has some info that addresses this issue. Here's an excerpt from his email below:

I looked through some of my old Willy's Service News and in the February 1952 issue it discusses the installation of the lower trunnion.   The lower side is to be positioned towards the rear of the car.  I will copy the page when I get to work on Monday and mail it to you.   It has some useful information for your installation. 
I also found mention of the new level trunnion in the May 1953 issue.  It seems that either can be used in any 52 or 53 Willys (also I guess early '54's), as long as both left and right trunnions match.

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
Recieved the lower trunnions today from rare parts and they look to be new old stock from the light rust that's on them.  So these are the early style so can i use them on a 54' ?  Steering knuckle and lower control arm the same 52-55 ? 

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:22 PM »
Recieved the lower trunnions today from rare parts and they look to be new old stock from the light rust that's on them.  So these are the early style so can i use them on a 54' ?  Steering knuckle and lower control arm the same 52-55 ?

They are NOS, the gal at rareparts thought they may have been manufactured by TRW. She also thinks they have 80 upper trunnion kits.

Like Rick mentioned above, these will fit '52, '53 and early '54 as long as the '54 wasn't fitted with the larger trunnions and 226 engine. If you have that type, I believe the steering knuckle and control arms are also different, unique to the later '54 & '55 models.

I was at a machine shop yesterday to drop off some front hubs and brought an old trunnion along to get an opinion. The machinist thought he could duplicate it and save machine time by keeping it a rectangular block rather than duplicating the original casting profile.  He's going have my hubs done in a few weeks and also work up an estimate on trunnions, we didn't discuss drilling & tapping the bolts for zerks.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:00:14 PM »
From Bob Zentmaier's Feb. 1952 edition of the Willys Overland Service News letter.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »
Several years ago, I learned of a 54 Aero Eagle Custom for sale about an hour from my home. I was told it had 40K original miles and had been stored for 20 years in a building, along with odd cars like an Isetta, Messerschmitt, Dodge LaFemme, and others. I drove down and after looking over the car, I bought it for the princely sum of $800...because the engine was stuck. I got the car home and realized that the engine was fine, it was the water pump that was frozen. I replaced the pump, put in new spark plugs, relined the gas tank and was driving the car a few days later. In the entire time I owned the car (a friend talked me out of it and its now in his collection) I never touched the brakes or suspension. The trunnions and tie rods were as good as new and realizing the trouble folks are having today with them, I thank my lucky stars!

I've attached a picture of the car not long after shooting it in prime. The original owner used a bench grinder...yes bench...to "smooth out some surface rust". I'm not sure how he man handled the bench grinder around the car...