Author Topic: Carb flooding  (Read 1468 times)

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
Carb flooding
« on: September 06, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »
my 53 DeLuxe Corsair keeps overflowing the carb.I've tried a rebuilt Carter YF, a rebuilt Rochester, with same result. Its a six cyl. car with a rebuilt double action fuel pump. The pump is putting out 8 psi which is too high, but I've been told by Then and Now that this still shouldn't overflow the carb. Float drop and level has been checked and double checked. Any ideas ?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Carb flooding
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
If the carb was rebuilt and a new kit with the new style needle and seat was used, it's the culprit. My 53K had the same problem and it went away when I swapped back to the old set.

I would, however, reduce your fuel pressure. It should becloser to 5 psi.

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »
Any ideas on how to reduce it? I'm sure thats the culprit because it floods with either carb on it.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Have you replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carb?  If that leaks, it will flood. Also, there's a check valve, looks like a little bee-bee, that sometimes gets lost as it just falls out if you have the carb apart and are not careful.  Another thing you might try is add the spacer that was used on four cylinder Henry Js and Jeeps. It moves the fuel pump out about 1/8" so the arm travel is reduced which in turn reduces pump pressure. You can get one at Walck's 4 WD -

http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-spacer.html

We had to put one on Edgar's Henry J and it helped.
Good luck
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:25:19 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
8 psi is double what you need and you will flood. I had a similar problem and tried everything until I installed this part and I never had a flooding problem again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QF-30-804-Quick-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-1-4-PSI-Port-Holley-Carburetor-/151401926850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23404210c2&vxp=mtr
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

joberg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »
I added an inline fuel pressure regulator from Mr Gasket which I found locally at PepBoys. This dropped the pressure to 4 psi. Also found some crap in the needle and seat which didn't help. Thanks for the help. Hope this rebuilds my confidence in driving her. Its been a shaky few weeks.