Author Topic: 6 volt to 12 volt  (Read 8001 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6 volt to 12 volt
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
Terry, my cars are all original 6 volt systems and they start just fine. Having the correct gauge battery cables can make the difference between them turning over properly. Battery cables corrode and get damaged over many years and a lot of cars had the cables replaced with 2 gauge types used on 12 volt systems.  The 6 volt cars need 1 or 0 gauge cables. Using the 2 gauge makes a big difference. We had one Henry J which was converted to 12 volts and we left the 6 volt starter in it. That one we did drive in below zero weather and yes, 12 volts really helped! Never burned up a starter in it but I do remember it would spit that cigar lighter right out when you tried to use it!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »
Now that makes sense.

I guess paying attention to instructions/detail really helps.

Not luck after all.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »
Terry if you read my previous post you will see that the car has had the generator rebuilt, voltage regular replaced, been to a shop, put on a trickle charger, battery tested and connections cleaned and still the car has no capacity to crank of any length of time and is unreliable.  If there is instructions or detail I have not paid attention to I don't know what it could possibly be.

I am very happy with the results, the car turns over, no trickle charger, jump boxes or worrying if the car will crank without raising the hood every time I want to start it.  I suspect there was a reason the automobile industry went to a 12 volt system almost 60 years ago....its more reliable. 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »
How old was your 6v battery?

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
I don't know. All I know is it tested good from three different sources.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
With my daily drivers, I routinely change batteries around 4-5 years old as they always get undependable. I'm sure they would still test good and will still start the car, but leave the headlights on for ten minutes and they won't. Since I'm about to drive my '51 to the Jackson meet, I'm a bit concerned about my battery, as I don't know how old it is. It cranks on the slow side. But last time the car was hot and hard to start, it did keep cranking for a couple of minutes- so I can't really condemn it yet.

Can't blame you for going to 12v as it gives you some peace of mind. I do think, though, that a recent 6v battery with the right cables and a good starter is usually up to the task. Cars got along with them for over 50 years.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:33 AM »
My mother is old enough to remember 6 volt cars. She said she always tried to park on an incline just in case.

It sure turns over easy and fires right up no matter what I do to the choke or gas pedal. I fought the 6v too long. I suppose if it works for you and you don't mind plugging your car in every time it is going to sit for a day or two that's ok too.

I want to drive mine all over and I want to know when I hit the starter button it's going to crank. I'm planning on coming to Jackson and was going to pull the car up but am having a problem with the brakes. If I find the time and the problem this weekend I'll bring it if not maybe next time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:47:06 AM by JoeKeys2010 »
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
I think the primary reason for switching to 12-volt was higher compression.  Our cars don't need 12 volts if everything else is working properly, including the 1 gauge cables--very important.  I've always used 6-volts in my Kaisers and have never had a problem with them out of the ordinary.  Now, using a generator, is a different story: your headlights dim every time your engine goes down to idle, but if you can live with that, they work fine.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »
I was away from the car for a week. No trickle charger, no plugging in anything. Came home and she cranked up like it was a Ford. I can live with that.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
By the way, Fid, I like the snow covered Henry J.

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:26 AM »
hey joe can you take pics of your alternator set up and what did you do about your guages and heater motor,,,,,,,,
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
I'm away from home at the moment but will take some pictures later this week when I return home. I can tell you I have been completely satisfied with the conversion and no long wonder if the car is going to start.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

brian.b

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »
ok thanks man ,,,did you put ballast resisters on everything or just to main power wire to the guages
whatever you do in life,always give 100%.unless your're donating blood.

kingsgate

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 10:00:27 AM »
I recently bought a 1953 Kaiser Deluxe sedan. I am thinking of moving the electrics to 12 volts and am reading the various threads on here with interest.

One thing that springs to mind - what size of 12 volt battery did you use? The dimensions of the 6 volt battery are 220mm x 170mm wide x 180mm tall.

Looking around, most larger-capacity 12 volt batteries are physically quite a lot bigger than those dimensions and wouldn't fit in to the battery tray.

Any suggestions on battery "type", capacity needed etc very gratefully received.

Giles (new Kaiser owner in London, England)

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
Well, after a few weeks experience I can tell you that 12v conversion is unnecessary, at least for me. This battery alone, the Optima 6v, with the right cables and connections will do the job. No, it won't look right in a show (there are housings available to make them look stock)  but otherwise it fills the bill nicely. It's about $112 on Amazon, a lot more locally if you can find it (my local stores had batteries that had been sitting for years so get a fresh one). No trickle charge, still starts right up at 40 degrees after sitting 3 weeks. There are long threads on old car forums with owners saying they are getting 5 years and more out of these batteries, with them often going all winter without a trickle charge. It's an entirely new technology.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:52:22 AM by 51Deluxe »